Abdominal manifestations of sickle cell disease
Abdominal manifestations of sickle cell disease (SCD) are wide and can involve many organs.
For a general discussion, please refer to sickle cell disease.
- splenic enlargement may occur transiently with the sequestration syndrome, where rapid pooling of blood occurs in the spleen, resulting in intravascular volume depletion, with potential for cardiovascular collapse.
- the slow, tortuous micro-circulation of the spleen renders it susceptible to infarction and subsequent functional asplenia
- 94% are asplenic by age 51
- radiological finding is of a small, calcified spleen
- splenic abscesses
- hepatic iron deposition secondary to multiple transfusions 1
- hepatomegaly +/- coarsened echotexture with portal hypertension.
- cholelithiasis +/- choledocholithiasis
- multiple liver abscesses
- kidneys are often large early in the disease, with variable echogenicity on ultrasound, but shrink with development of renal failure . Bilateral echogenic pyramids are frequently seen in sickle cell disease.
- renal papillary necrosis
- approximately 40% patient may develop peptic ulcers due to reduced mucosal resistance and bowel ischemia.
- 1. Lonergan GJ, Cline DB, Abbondanzo SL. Sickle cell anemia. Radiographics. 21 (4): 971-94. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Saborio P, Scheinman JI. Sickle cell nephropathy. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 1999;10 (1): 187-92. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Taori KB, Chaudhary RS, Attarde V et-al. Renal Doppler indices in sickle cell disease: early radiologic predictors of renovascular changes. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008;191 (1): 239-42. doi:10.2214/AJR.07.3125 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Lee MG, Thirumalai CH, Terry SI et-al. Endoscopic and gastric acid studies in homozygous sickle cell disease and upper abdominal pain. Gut. 1989;30 (5): 569-72. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Abdominal manifestations of sickle cell anaemia||✗|
|Abdominal manifestations of sickle cell anemia||✗|