Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast
Adenoid cystic carcinoma (ACC) of the breast is a rare sub type of breast cancer.
They account for only 0.1 - 0.4% of all breast cancers.
The tumour demonstrates a strikingly characteristic microscopic pattern similar to that of adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands. They consist of a mixture of proliferative glandular tissue (an adenoid component) and stromal or basement membrane elements (a pseudoglandular or cylindromatous component). Adenoid cystic carcinomas of the breast displays slowly progressive growth and rarely metastasizes to the axillary lymph nodes. On pathologic analysis, it is characterized by the presence of mucin within pseudocysts found in the tumour
Mammographically they tend to appear as developing asymmetric densities or irregular masses.
Sonographically they can appear as irregular, heterogeneous, or hypo-echoic masses with minimal vascularity on colour Doppler imaging.
There is only limited data available on MR imaging features of adenoid cystic carcinomas of the breast. Described features include moderately hyper-intense signal on T2-weighted TSE images, a characteristic that may be attributed to the myxoid stroma and cribriform pattern of the tumour 7.
The overall can be comparatively better than the usually unspecified breast cancers. Nodal metastases are rare.
It was first described by F. W. Foote and F. W Stewart in 1946 5
- 1. Mcclenathan JH, De la roza G. Adenoid cystic breast cancer. Am. J. Surg. 2002;183 (6): 646-9. Am. J. Surg. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Santamaría G, Velasco M, Zanón G et-al. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast: mammographic appearance and pathologic correlation. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1998;171 (6): 1679-83. AJR Am J Roentgenol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Glazebrook KN, Reynolds C, Smith RL et-al. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010;194 (5): 1391-6. doi:10.2214/AJR.09.3545 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Conant EF, Brennecke CM. Breast imaging, case review. Mosby Inc. (2006) ISBN:0323017460. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 5. Foote FW, Stewart FW. A histologic classification of carcinoma of the breast. Surgery. 1946;19 : 74-99. - Pubmed citation
- 6. Feder JM, De paredes ES, Hogge JP et-al. Unusual breast lesions: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 1999;19 Spec No : S11-26. - Pubmed citation
- 7. Santamaría G, Velasco M, Bargalló X et-al. Radiologic and pathologic findings in breast tumors with high signal intensity on T2-weighted MR images. Radiographics. 2010;30 (2): 533-48. doi:10.1148/rg.302095044 - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Adenoid cystic carcinoma of breast||✗|
|Adenoid cystic breast cancer||✗|
|ACC of breast||✗|