An Andersson lesion refers to inflammatory involvement of the intervertebral discs by spondyloarthritis
Rheumatic spondylodiskitis is a noninfectious condition that occurs in about 8% of patients with ankylosing spondylitis as detected at radiography
Radiography depicts irregularities and erosions of the vertebral endplates that are not related to the anterior or posterior edge but rather to the central portion, such findings are now known to be late features of spondyloarthritis.
At MR imaging, these lesions are depicted as disk-related signal-intensity abnormalities of one or both vertebral halves of a discovertebral unit; they appear hyperintense on STIR images and hypointense on T1-weighted images, where they are often hemispherically shaped. Lines of increased signal intensity may be seen at the interface between the anulus fibrosus and nucleus pulposus or within the latter in early disease. Just as MR imaging is better than conventional radiography in its depiction of anterior spondylitis (or Romanus lesions), MR imaging also provides a superior view of spondylodiskitis, since the edematous changes in early disease are not radiographically visualised.
- 1. Andersson O. Ro¨ntgenbilden vid spondylarthris ankylopoetica. Nord Med Tidskr 1937; 14:2000–2003.
- 2. Kabasakal Y, Garrett SL, Calin A. The epidemiology of spondylodiscitis in ankylosing spondylitis--a controlled study. Br. J. Rheumatol. 1996;35 (7): 660-3. Br. J. Rheumatol. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Kenny JB, Hughes PL, Whitehouse GH. Discovertebral destruction in ankylosing spondylitis: the role of computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging. Br J Radiol. 1990;63 (750): 448-55. doi:10.1259/0007-1285-63-750-448 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Wienands K, Lukas P, Albrecht HJ. [Clinical value of MR tomography of spondylodiscitis in ankylosing spondylitis]. Z Rheumatol. 49 (6): 356-60. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Hermann KG, Althoff CE, Schneider U et-al. Spinal changes in patients with spondyloarthritis: comparison of MR imaging and radiographic appearances. Radiographics. 25 (3): 559-69. doi:10.1148/rg.253045117 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Bron JL, De vries MK, Snieders MN et-al. Discovertebral (Andersson) lesions of the spine in ankylosing spondylitis revisited. Clin. Rheumatol. 2009;28 (8): 883-92. doi:10.1007/s10067-009-1151-x - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|