An appendicolith is a calcified deposit within the appendix. They are present in a large number of children with acute appendicitis and may be an incidental finding on an abdominal radiograph or CT. Incidence may be increased amongst patients with a retrocaecal appendix.
An appendicolith will cast an acoustic shadow at ultrasound examination and appear as a calcified mass on an abdominal radiograph or CT examination.
The appendix can be affected by numerous inflammatory, infectious and neoplastic conditions:
- appendiceal mucocoele
neoplasms of the appendix
- appendiceal adenoma
- appendiceal adenocarcinoma
- appendiceal lymphoma
- appendiceal mucinous cystadenoma
- appendiceal mucinous adenoma
- appendiceal mucinous cystadenocarcinoma
- appendiceal mucinous adenocarcinoma
- appendiceal neuroendocrine tumours
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|