Appendicular abscess is considered the most common complication of acute appendicitis.
Ultrasound is the first investigation advised to evaluate a suspected appendicular pathology. Findings of an appendicular abscess include:
- fluid collection (hypoechoic) in the appendicular region which may be well circumscribed and rounded or ill-defined and irregular in appearance
- appendix may be visualised within the mass
Fluid collection is seen in the appendicular region with or without air within. Many times an appendicolith may be visualized.
Previously it was believed that early surgical intervention increases the mortality in patients with appendicular abscess and hence the well known Ochsner Sherren regime was followed. But with better antibiotics and expertise of surgeons and anaesthesiologists, now early diagnostic laproscopy followed by drainage of the abscess is preferred. If the abscess is large (> 4 cm), percutaneous drainage followed by delayed appendectomy is considered the preferred treatment 4.
The appendix can be affected by numerous inflammatory, infectious and neoplastic conditions:
- appendiceal mucocoele
neoplasms of the appendix
- appendiceal adenoma
- appendiceal adenocarcinoma
- appendiceal lymphoma
- appendiceal mucinous cystadenoma
- appendiceal mucinous adenoma
- appendiceal mucinous cystadenocarcinoma
- appendiceal mucinous adenocarcinoma
- appendiceal neuroendocrine tumours
- 1. Ali S, Rafique HM. Appendicular mass; Early exploration vs conservative management. Professional Med J Jun 2010;17(2):180-184. PDF
- 2. Hogan MJ. Appendiceal abscess drainage. Tech Vasc Interv Radiol. 2004;6 (4): 205-14. Pubmed citation
- 3. Jamieson DH, Chait PG, Filler R. Interventional drainage of appendiceal abscesses in children. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1997;169 (6): 1619-22. doi:10.2214/ajr.169.6.9393176 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Pinto Leite N, Pereira JM, Cunha R et-al. CT evaluation of appendicitis and its complications: imaging techniques and key diagnostic findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005;185 (2): 406-17. doi:10.2214/ajr.185.2.01850406 - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|