An arcuate uterus is one of the Müllerian duct anomalies and the anomaly that is most commonly not associated with reproductive failure. It is sometimes classified as a normal variant.
An arcuate uterus is characterized by a mild indentation of the endometrium at the uterine fundus. It occurs as the result of near complete resorption of the uterovaginal septum.
It can be distinguished from a bicornuate uterus on the basis of its complete fundal unification.
General features include
- normal fundal contour
- no division of uterine horns
- smooth indentation of fundal endometrial canal : the depth of indentation is usually considered to be < 1 cm.
- increased transverse diameter of uterine cavity
Opacification of the endometrial cavity demonstrates a single uterine canal with a broad saddle-shaped indentation of the uterine fundus.
A normal external uterine contour is noted, with a broad smooth indentation on the fundal segment of the endometrium. No division of the uterine horns.
A normal external uterine contour is maintained. The myometrial fundal indentation is smooth and broad, and the signal intensity of this region is iso-intense to normal myometrium.
- 1. Ubeda B, Paraira M, Alert E et-al. Hysterosalpingography: spectrum of normal variants and nonpathologic findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001;177 (1): 131-5. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Chaudhry S. AJR Teaching File: infertility in a young woman. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007;189 (3): S11-2. doi:10.2214/AJR.07.7019 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Dykes, Thomas M.; Siegel, Cary; Dodson, William. American Journal of Roentgenology. doi:10.2214/AJR.06.0821
- 4. Troiano RN, Mccarthy SM. Mullerian duct anomalies: imaging and clinical issues. Radiology. 2004;233 (1): 19-34. doi:10.1148/radiol.2331020777 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Imaoka I, Wada A, Matsuo M et-al. MR imaging of disorders associated with female infertility: use in diagnosis, treatment, and management. Radiographics. 23 (6): 1401-21. doi:10.1148/rg.236025115 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Mucowski SJ, Herndon CN, Rosen MP. The arcuate uterine anomaly: a critical appraisal of its diagnostic and clinical relevance. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2010;65 (7): 449-54. doi:10.1097/OGX.0b013e3181efb0db - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|