A breast haemangioma is a benign vascular lesion occurring within breast tissue.
Breast hemangiomas are reported to be found in ~ 1.2% of mastectomy specimensand 11% of post-mortem specimens. They can occur at almost any age with an age range between 18 months and 82 years.
The haemangiomas that occur within the breast are most commonly the cavernous type 2. While lesions are most often superficial within the breast tissue, there is no recognised predilection towards any particular location within the breast. Histologically they are similar to haemangiomas at other sites 9 and comprise of lobular proliferation of vessels filled with blood.
Mammographic appearances are generally non-specific. They may be seen as oval or lobular isodense masses with well-circumscribed margins on a mammogram. Calcification may be present.
A haemangioma may appear as a lobulated, superficial, well-circumscribed, solid mass thatis predominantly hypo-echoic. It may contain areas of calcification. Hyper-echoic nodules also have been described.
- 1. Mesurolle B, Sygal V, Lalonde L et-al. Sonographic and mammographic appearances of breast hemangioma. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008;191 (1): W17-22. doi:10.2214/AJR.07.3153 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Kim SM, Kim HH, Shin HJ et-al. Cavernous haemangioma of the breast. Br J Radiol. 2006;79 (947): e177-80. doi:10.1259/bjr/11217388 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Glazebrook KN, Morton MJ, Reynolds C. Vascular tumors of the breast: mammographic, sonographic, and MRI appearances. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005;184 (1): 331-8. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Chung SY, Oh KK. Mammographic and sonographic findings of a breast subcutaneous hemangioma. J Ultrasound Med. 2002;21 (5): 585-8. J Ultrasound Med (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Adwani A, Bees N, Arnaout A et-al. Hemangioma of the breast: clinical, mammographic, and ultrasound features. Breast J. 12 (3): 271. doi:10.1111/j.1075-122X.2006.00255.x - Pubmed citation
- 6. Porter GJ, Evans AJ, Lee AH et-al. Unusual benign breast lesions. Clin Radiol. 2006;61 (7): 562-9. doi:10.1016/j.crad.2006.02.008 - Pubmed citation
- 7. Miaux Y, Lemarchand-venencie F, Cyna-gorse F et-al. MR imaging of breast hemangioma in female infants. Pediatr Radiol. 1992;22 (6): 463-4. - Pubmed citation
- 8. Siewert B, Jacobs T, Baum JK. Sonographic evaluation of subcutaneous hemangioma of the breast. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;178 (4): 1025-7. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 9. Rosen PP. Vascular tumors of the breast. V. Nonparenchymal hemangiomas of mammary subcutaneous tissues. Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 1985;9 (10): 723-9. - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Haemangioma of the breast||✗|
|Hemangioma of the breast||✗|
|Haemangioma of breast||✗|
|Hemangioma of breast||✗|