A butterfly vertebra is a type of vertebral anomaly and results from the failure of fusion of the lateral halves of the vertebral body because of persistent notochondal tissue between them.
- an anterior spina bifida, with or without an anterior meninogocoele, may be associated with a butterfly vertebra
- can be part of the Alagille syndrome
- Jarcho-Levin syndrome
The involved vertebral body is widened, and the bodies above and below the butterfly vertebra adapt to the altered intervertebral discs on either side by showing concavities along the adjacent endplates.
Some bone bridging may occur across the defect which is usually seen in the thoracic on lumbar segments of the spine.
- cervical spine
- thoracic spine
- lumbar spine
- vertebral body
- neural arch
- transitional vertebrae
- intervertebral disc
- anterior longitudinal ligament
- posterior ligamentous complex
- cervical spine ligaments
- iliolumbar ligament
- musculature of the vertebral column
- spinal cord
- vascular supply
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Butterfly type vertebrae||✗|
|Butterfly type vertebra||✗|