Butterfly vertebra is a type of vertebral anomaly that results from the failure of fusion of the lateral halves of the vertebral body because of persistent notochordal tissue between them.
- an anterior spina bifida, with or without an anterior meninogocoele
- can be part of the Alagille syndrome
- Jarcho-Levin syndrome
The involved vertebral body is widened, and the bodies above and below the butterfly vertebra adapt to the altered intervertebral discs on either side by showing concavities along the adjacent endplates.
Some bone bridging may occur across the defect which is usually seen in the thoracic or lumbar segments of the spine.
- cervical spine
- thoracic spine
- lumbar spine
- vertebral body
- neural arch
- transitional vertebrae
- ossification centres
- intervertebral disc
- anterior longitudinal ligament
- posterior longitudinal ligament
- posterior ligamentous complex
- cervical spine ligaments
- iliolumbar ligament
- musculature of the vertebral column
- spinal cord
- vascular supply