A carcinoid tumour is a type of neuroendocrine tumour which can occur in number of locations. Carcinoid tumours arise from endocrine amine precursor uptake and decarboxylation (APUD) cells that can be found throughout the gastrointestinal tract as well as other organs (e.g. lung). In general they are slow growing tumours but are nevertheless capable of metastasis.
- gastrointestinal tract carcinoid can present as vague abdominal pain.
- carcinoid syndrome
- gastrointestinal tract carcinoid - the gastrointestinal tract accounts for ~ 85% carcinoid tumours while carcinoid accounts for ~ 2% of gastrointestinal tract tumours.
- primary hepatic carcinoid :
- ovarian carcinoid - accounts for 0.5% of carcinoid tumours and 0.3 % of ovarian tumours 7.
- carcinoid tumours of lung
- thymic carcinoid
- 5HIAA - (5-hydroxyindoleaceticacid) : usually suggests functioning carcinoid tumour
- chromogranin A (CgA) - considered valuable tool in the diagnosis of neuroendocrine neoplasia in general 6
Refer to specific articles for imaging characteristics
In111 octreotide (Octreoscan) - generally specific for GI tract carcinoid tumours as well as liver metastases
Initially coined by Oberndorfer in 1907 as “Karzinoide” to denote its resemblance to carcinoma 4
- 1. Binstock AJ, Johnson CD, Stephens DH et-al. Carcinoid tumors of the stomach: a clinical and radiographic study. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001;176 (4): 947-51. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Picus D, Glazer HS, Levitt RG et-al. Computed tomography of abdominal carcinoid tumors. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1984;143 (3): 581-4. AJR Am J Roentgenol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Janson ET, Holmberg L, Stridsberg M et-al. Carcinoid tumors: analysis of prognostic factors and survival in 301 patients from a referral center. Ann. Oncol. 1997;8 (7): 685-90. Ann. Oncol. (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Rosado de christenson ML, Abbott GF, Kirejczyk WM et-al. Thoracic carcinoids: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 19 (3): 707-36. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Horton KM, Kamel I, Hofmann L et-al. Carcinoid tumors of the small bowel: a multitechnique imaging approach. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004;182 (3): 559-67. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 6. Hendy GN, Bevan S, Mattei MG et-al. Chromogranin A. Clin Invest Med. 1995;18 (1): 47-65. - Pubmed citation
- 7. Shanbhogue AK, Shanbhogue DK, Prasad SR et-al. Clinical syndromes associated with ovarian neoplasms: a comprehensive review. Radiographics. 30 (4): 903-19. doi:10.1148/rg.304095745 - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Carcinoid tumour general||✗|
|Carcinoid tumour (general)||✗|