The differential diagnosis for hyperostosis of the skull depends on whether it is focal or diffuse.
- Paget's disease of bone
- metastatic disease, especial prostate carcinoma
- chronic, severe anaemia
- hyperostosis frontalis interna : cases 1 & 3
- long term Dilantin™ administration
- genetic diseases (rare)
- 1.Pieper, D "Hyperostosis Associated with Meningioma of the Cranial Base: Secondary Changes or Tumor Invasion." Neurosurgery. 44(4):742-746, April 1999.
- 2. Primer of Diagnostic Imaging by Weissleder