Kommerell diverticula occur in a number of anomalies of the aortic arch system. It usually refers to the bulbous configuration of the origin of an aberrant left subclavian artery in the setting of a right sided aortic arch. However, it was originally described as a diverticular outpouching at origin of an aberrant right subclavian artery with a left sided aortic arch.
Kommerell diverticulum may be asymptomatic, or cause symptoms of oesophageal or tracheal obstruction.
A small rounded density may be seen laterally towards the left of the trachea.
Fluoroscopy: barium swallow
An impression can be seen from left side of oesophagus simulating a double aortic arch.
Typically shows bulbous enlargement of proximal subclavian artery at its origin from aortic arch, posterior to oesophagus.
History and etymology
It is named after Burckhard F Kommerell, German radiologist (1901-1990).
- acute aortic syndrome
- thoracic aortic aneurysm
- abdominal aortic aneurysm
- endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)
- reporting tips for aortic aneurysms
- traumatic aortic injuries
- 1. Dähnert W. Radiology Review Manual. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2007) ISBN:0781766206. Read it at Google Books
- 2. Van son JA, Konstantinov IE. Burckhard F. Kommerell and Kommerell's diverticulum. Tex Heart Inst J. 2002;29 (2): 109-12. - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Welch TJ, Mckusick MA. Cardiovascular case of the day. Case 2: Aneurysm of aberrant right subclavian arising from diverticulum of Kommerell. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1993;160 (6): 1313-4. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Carbone I, Sedati P, Galea N et-al. Right-sided aortic arch with Kommerell's diverticulum: 64-DCTA with 3D reconstructions. Thorax. 2008;63 (7): 662. Thorax (full text) - doi:10.1136/thx.2007.087072 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Berdon WE. Rings, slings, and other things: vascular compression of the infant trachea updated from the midcentury to the millennium-the legacy of Robert E. Gross, MD, and Edward B. D. Neuhauser, MD. Radiology. 2000;216 (3): 624-32. Radiology (full text) - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Diverticulum of Kommerell||✗|