Kommerell diverticula occur in some anomalies of the aortic arch system. It usually refers to the bulbous configuration of the origin of an aberrant left subclavian artery in the setting of a right sided aortic arch. However, it was originally described as a diverticular outpouching at the origin of an aberrant right subclavian artery with a left sided aortic arch.
Kommerell diverticulum may be asymptomatic, or cause symptoms of oesophageal or tracheal obstruction.
A small rounded density may be seen laterally towards the left of the trachea.
Fluoroscopy: barium swallow
An impression can be seen from left side of oesophagus simulating a double aortic arch.
Typically shows bulbous enlargement of the proximal subclavian artery at its origin from the aortic arch, posterior to the oesophagus.
History and etymology
It is named after Burckhard F Kommerell, German radiologist (1901-1990).
- acute aortic syndrome
- thoracic aortic aneurysm
- abdominal aortic aneurysm
- endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)
- reporting tips for aortic aneurysms
- traumatic aortic injuries
- 1. Dähnert W. Radiology Review Manual. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2007) ISBN:0781766206. Read it at Google Books
- 2. Van son JA, Konstantinov IE. Burckhard F. Kommerell and Kommerell's diverticulum. Tex Heart Inst J. 2002;29 (2): 109-12. - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Welch TJ, Mckusick MA. Cardiovascular case of the day. Case 2: Aneurysm of aberrant right subclavian arising from diverticulum of Kommerell. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1993;160 (6): 1313-4. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Carbone I, Sedati P, Galea N et-al. Right-sided aortic arch with Kommerell's diverticulum: 64-DCTA with 3D reconstructions. Thorax. 2008;63 (7): 662. Thorax (full text) - doi:10.1136/thx.2007.087072 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Berdon WE. Rings, slings, and other things: vascular compression of the infant trachea updated from the midcentury to the millennium-the legacy of Robert E. Gross, MD, and Edward B. D. Neuhauser, MD. Radiology. 2000;216 (3): 624-32. Radiology (full text) - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Diverticulum of Kommerell||✗|