McCune-Albright syndrome is characterised by the association of:
- endocrinopathy - precocious puberty
- polyostotic fibrous dysplasia - more severe than in sporadic cases
- cutaneous pigmentation - coast of Maine 'cafe au lait' spots
Presentation is variable
- leg pain, limp, pathological fracture: ~ 75%
- abnormal vaginal bleeding: ~ 25%
- coast of Maine cafe-au-lait spots
- predominantly on back of trunk: ~ 30-50%
- often ipsilateral to bone lesions
The condition is named after
- Fuller Albright - American (US) endocrinologist (1900-1969)
- Donovan James McCune - American (US) paediatrician (1902-1976)
This article is in need of some more references!
You can make a difference to Radiopaedia.org by adding some relevant ones.
- 1. Fitzpatrick KA, Taljanovic MS, Speer DP et-al. Imaging findings of fibrous dysplasia with histopathologic and intraoperative correlation. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2004;182 (6): 1389-98. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - Pubmed citation