Mixed connective tissue disease
Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD) is a type of connective tissue disease. When clinical imaging features are concerned it can have significant overlap with other connective tissue disease such as systemic lupus erythematosus and scleroderma 1. It therefore classified as a type of overlap syndrome an at times it even comes under debate as to whether MCTD should exist a distinct entity 7.
It occurs from an autoimmune abnormality and often is defined by the presence of a ribonuclease-sensitive extractable nuclear antigen.
MCTD can affect various organ systems where pulmonary 6 and musculoskeletal 4-5 are some of the two key systems to get affected. As such these are best discussed under separate headings
- 1. Sliver, Terry M.; Farber, Stephen J.; Bole, Giles G.; Martel, William. Radiology. doi:10.1148/120.2.269
- 2. Bennett RM, O'connell DJ. The arthritis of mixed connective tissue disease. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 1978;37 (5): 397-403. doi:10.1136/ard.37.5.397 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. O'connell DJ, Bennett RM. Mixed connective tissue disease--clinical and radiological aspects of 20 cases. Br J Radiol. 1977;50 (597): 620-5. doi:10.1259/0007-1285-50-597-620 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Lawson JP. The joint manifestations of the connective tissue diseases. Semin Roentgenol. 1982;17 (1): 25-38. - Pubmed citation
- 5. Udoff EJ, Genant HK, Kozin F et-al. Mixed connective tissue disease: the spectrum of radiographic manifestations. Radiology. 1977;124 (3): 613-8. doi:10.1148/124.3.613 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Kim EA, Lee KS, Johkoh T et-al. Interstitial lung diseases associated with collagen vascular diseases: radiologic and histopathologic findings. Radiographics. 2002;22 Spec No : S151-65. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 7. Black C, Isenberg DA. Mixed connective tissue disease--goodbye to all that. Br. J. Rheumatol. 1992;31 (10): 695-700. doi:10.1093/rheumatology/31.10.695 - Pubmed citation
- 8. Citera G, Lázaro MA, Maldonado cocco JA. Mixed connective tissue disease: fact or fiction? Lupus. 1995;4 (4): 255-7. - Pubmed citation
- 9. Magro CM, Crowson AN, Regauer S. Mixed connective tissue disease. A clinical, histologic, and immunofluorescence study of eight cases. Am J Dermatopathol. 1997;19 (3): 206-13. Am J Dermatopathol (link) - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Mixed connective tissue disease (MCTD)||✗|