Ovarian serous cystadenoma
An ovarian serous cystadenoma (OSC) is a type of benign ovarian epithelial tumour. It falls under the sub-group of ovarian serous tumours.
Serous cystadenomas account for ~ 60% of ovarian serous tumours 1. They are the commonest type of ovarian epithelial neoplasm. The peak incidence is at ~ the 4th to 5th decades of life.
Serous cystadenomas are usually composed of unilocular (or at times multilocular) cysts filled with clear watery fluid. The lining of the cyst is flat or may contain small papillary projections. As with other serous tumours, psammomatous calcification can be a feature.
They can be bilateral in ~ 15 % of cases.
Usually seen as a unilocular cystic adnexal lesion. Papillary projections are usually absent and if present tends to be thin, have an acute angle with the cyst wall and have a regular surface 5. Some lesions may contain sonographically detectable septations.
Often seen as a unilocular (typically) or multilocular cystic mass with homogeneous CT attenuation , with a thin regular wall or septum, and usually no endocystic or exocystic vegetation 1,4. Cysts can be quite large in size and have the potential to be seen filling most of the lower pelvis with extension into the upper abdomen.
The typical MR imaging appearance of serous cystadenoma is as a unilocular thin walled adnexal cyst 2. MRI may show a beak sign which may suggest an ovarian origin.
Signal characteristics within the cyst are usually homogeneous.
- T1 - cyst content is usually of low signal in uncomplicated cases
- T2 - cyst content is of fluid (high) signal
Treatment and prognosis
They are benign lesions usually with a good prognosis. More content required
General imaging differential consderations include
- ovarian cysts - for small lesions consder
- para-ovarian cysts - no beak sign
- paraovarian cystadenoma - no beak sign
- 1- Jung SE, Lee JM, Rha SE et-al. CT and MR imaging of ovarian tumors with emphasis on differential diagnosis. Radiographics. 22 (6): 1305-25. doi:10.1148/rg.226025033 - Pubmed citation
- 2- Imaoka I, Wada A, Kaji Y et-al. Developing an MR imaging strategy for diagnosis of ovarian masses. Radiographics. 26 (5): 1431-48. doi:10.1148/rg.265045206 - Pubmed citation
- 3- Buy JN, Ghossain MA, Sciot C et-al. Epithelial tumors of the ovary: CT findings and correlation with US. Radiology. 1991;178 (3): 811-8. Radiology (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 4- Jeong YY, Outwater EK, Kang HK. Imaging evaluation of ovarian masses. Radiographics. 20 (5): 1445-70. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5- Hassen K, Ghossain MA, Rousset P et-al. Characterization of papillary projections in benign versus borderline and malignant ovarian masses on conventional and color Doppler ultrasound. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011;196 (6): 1444-9. doi:10.2214/AJR.10.5014 - Pubmed citation
- 6- Eurorad teaching files : Case 7708
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Benign serous tumour of the ovary||✓|
|Serous cystadenoma of the ovary||✗|
|Ovarian serous cystadenoma (OSC)||✗|
|Ovarian serous cystadenomas||✗|
|Serous cystadenomas of the ovary||✗|
|Serous cystadenoma of ovary||✗|