Paragangliomas can occur anywhere in where there is a globus body and are divided according to their location:
- paravertebral paraganglia :
- paraganglia : related to the great vessels of the head and neck and base of skull
- scattered in other tissues : bladder, ciliary ganglion, pharynx and larynx
Histologically they contain nests of polygonal cells (Zellballen) enclosed by trabeculating fibrous components and sustentacular cells.
Paragangliomas will be discussed seperately depending on their location.
- 1. Rao AB, Koeller KK, Adair CF. From the archives of the AFIP. Paragangliomas of the head and neck: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. Radiographics. 19 (6): 1605-32. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N et-al. Robbins and Cotran pathologic basis of disease. W B Saunders Co. (2005) ISBN:0721601871. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 3. Swartz JD, Harnsberger HR. Imaging of the temporal bone. George Thieme Verlag. (1998) ISBN:0865777004. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Netterville JL, Jackson CG, Miller FR et-al. Vagal paraganglioma: a review of 46 patients treated during a 20-year period. Arch. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 1998;124 (10): 1133-40. Arch. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Kollert M, Minovi AA, Draf W et-al. Cervical paragangliomas-tumor control and long-term functional results after surgery. Skull Base. 2006;16 (4): 185-91. doi:10.1055/s-2006-950386 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 6. Lee JH, Barich F, Karnell LH et-al. National Cancer Data Base report on malignant paragangliomas of the head and neck. Cancer. 2002;94 (3): 730-7. Cancer (link) - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Paraganglioma : general||✗|