This site is targeted at medical and radiology professionals, contains user contributed content, and material that may be confusing to a lay audience. Use of this site implies acceptance of our Terms of Use.

Perimesencephalic haemorrhage

A perimesencephalic haemorrhage is a distinct type of subarachnoid haemorrhage confined to the basal cisterns around the midbrain (typically the interpeduncular and prepontine cisterns).

95% of cases have a normal cerebral angiogram and the source of bleeding is not identified; the cause is thought to be a venous bleed. In these cases, rebleeding and ischaemia are rare and the prognosis is excellent. The other 5% of cases are due to a vertebrobasilar aneurysm and the prognosis is worse.

Updating… Please wait.
Loadinganimation

 Details successfully updated.

Error Unable to process the form. Check for errors and try again.

 Thank you for updating your details.