This site is targeted at medical and radiology professionals, contains user contributed content, and material that may be confusing to a lay audience. Use of this site implies acceptance of our Terms of Use.

Perimesencephalic subarachnoid haemorrhage

Perimesencephalic subarachnoid haemorrhage (PMSAH) is a distinct pattern of subarachnoid haemorrhage (SAH), which is centred on the basal cisterns around the midbrain.

Epidemiology

PMSAH is rare with an incidence of 0.5 in 100 000 in adults 4. PMSAH represents 5-10% of all subarachnoid haemorrhages and ~33% of all non-aneurysmal SAH 3, 4

Clinical presentation

As per subarachnoid haemorrhage

Pathology

Aetiology

95% of cases have a normal cerebral angiogram and the source of bleeding is not identified; the cause is thought to be a venous bleed. The other 5% of cases are due to a vertebrobasilar aneurysm and the prognosis is worse 1,2. Rare causes include arteriovenous malformation, dural arteriovenous fistula, trauma and vascular tumours 4

Radiographic features

CT

PMSAH has been defined as subarachnoid haemorrhage, which on CT within three days of symptom onset 4:

  • is centred anteriorly to the pons and midbrain
  • may extend into the basal and suprasellar cisterns and into the proximal/basal Sylvian and interhemispheric fissures
  • may settle as sediment in the occipital horns of the lateral ventricles but there is no overt intraventricular haemorrhage

Treatment and prognosis

CTA is recommended for PMSAH to investigate for possible aneurysmal cause. Overall, PMSAH has an excellent prognosis with better outcomes compared to aneurysmal SAH 1, 2, 4


Related articles

Stroke and intracranial haemorrhage

Updating… Please wait.
Loadinganimation

Alert_accept

Error Unable to process the form. Check for errors and try again.

Alert_accept Thank you for updating your details.