Pulmonary vein varix (PVV) also sometimes termed a pulmonary venous aneurysm refers to a localised aneurysmal dilatation of a pulmonary vein. As it involves a venous structure, the former term is usually considered more appropriate. They are rare and may be congenital or acquired.
It is usually asymptomatic.
While they can occur anywhere in the chest, they are thought to typically occur at the confluences of the veins adjacent to the left atrium 3.
They are sometimes classified into three morphological types by some authors:
- saccular type: considered most common 9
- tortuous type
- confluent type
Plain film: chest radiograph
Non specific and can present as a mass on a chest radiograph 1.
CTPA: contrast pulmonary angiography
Pulmonary angiography has been the mainstay of diagnosis 2. Allows accurate delineation of arterial and venous anatomy.
- 1. Toher C, Krug H, Archer SL. Diagnosis of pulmonary vein varix by transesophageal echocardiography. Chest. 1993;103 (6): 1901-3. Chest (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Shiraishi J, Tatsumi T, Kimata M et-al. Echocardiographic diagnosis of pulmonary vein varix. Circ. J. 2003;67 (9): 796-8. Circ. J. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Gupta H, Mayo-smith WW, Mainiero MB et-al. Helical CT of pulmonary vascular abnormalities. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2002;178 (2): 487-92. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Sirivella S, Gielchinsky I. Pulmonary venous aneurysm presenting as a mediastinal mass in ischemic cardiomyopathy. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 1999;68 (1): 241-3. Ann. Thorac. Surg. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Ferrari VA, Mehta NN, Soulen M et-al. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Pulmonary venous aneurysms in hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia detected by 3-dimensional magnetic resonance angiography. Circulation. 2003;108 (17): e122-3. doi:10.1161/01.CIR.0000092308.57590.8C - Pubmed citation
- 6. Narula J, Talwar KK, Bharani A et-al. Pulmonary varix associated with mitral valve disease. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn. 13 (6): 411-3. - Pubmed citation
- 7. Vanherreweghe E, Rigauts H, Bogaerts Y et-al. Pulmonary vein varix: diagnosis with multi-slice helical CT. Eur Radiol. 2000;10 (8): 1315-7. Eur Radiol (link) - Pubmed citation
- 8. Deboer DA, Margolis ML, Livornese D et-al. Pulmonary venous aneurysm presenting as a middle mediastinal mass. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 1996;61 (4): 1261-2. Ann. Thorac. Surg. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 9. Uyama T, Monden Y, Harada K et-al. Pulmonary varices: a case report and review of the literature. Jpn J Surg. 1988;18 (3): 359-62. - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Pulmonary vein varix||✗|
|Pulmonary venous aneurysm||✗|
|Pulmonary vein aneurysm||✗|
|Pulmonary vein varix (PVV)||✗|
|Pulmonary venous varix (PVV)||✗|
|Pulmonary venous aneurysms||✗|
|Pulmonary vein aneurysms||✗|
|Aneurysmal dilatation of the pulmonary vein||✗|
|Pulmonary venous varices||✗|