Renal trauma grading is often done using the American Association for the Surgery of Trauma (AAST) 3-4 according to depth of damage and involvement of the urinary collecting system and renal vessels.
- grade I: contusion or non-enlarging subcapsular perirenal haematoma, and no laceration
- grade II: superficial laceration <1 cm depth and does not involve the collecting system (no evidence of urine extravasation), non-expanding perirenal haematoma
- grade III: laceration >1 cm without extension into the renal pelvis or collecting system (no evidence of urine extravasation)
- laceration extends to renal pelvis or urinary extravasation
- vascular: injury to main renal artery or vein with contained haemorrhage
- segmental infarctions without associated lacerations
- expanding subcapsular haematomas compressing the kidney
- grade V
NB: Advance one grade for multiple injuries up to grade III.
If a renal injury is seen on a routine portal phase CT of the abdomen, and there is no urine extravasation, a delayed series at 5-15 minutes should be considered to check for urine extravasation. This should not necessarily be performed if the patient is unstable or if there are other large, life-threatening injuries.
- 1. Kawashima A, Sandler CM, Corl FM et-al. Imaging of renal trauma: a comprehensive review. Radiographics. 21 (3): 557-74. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Park SJ, Kim JK, Kim KW et-al. MDCT Findings of renal trauma. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006;187 (2): 541-7. doi:10.2214/AJR.05.0543 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Moore EE, Shackford SR, Pachter HL et-al. Organ injury scaling: spleen, liver, and kidney. J Trauma. 1989;29 (12): 1664-6. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Ramchandani P, Buckler PM. Imaging of genitourinary trauma. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2009;192 (6): 1514-23. doi:10.2214/AJR.09.2470 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Srinivasa RN, Akbar SA, Jafri SZ et-al. Genitourinary trauma: a pictorial essay. Emerg Radiol. 2009;16 (1): 21-33. doi:10.1007/s10140-008-0738-x - Pubmed citation
- 6. Smith J, Kenney P. Radiologic Clinics of North America. 2003;41 (5): . doi:10.1016/S0033-8389(03)00075-7
- 7. http://www.aast.org/library/traumatools/injuryscoringscales.aspx