As with all types of holoprosencephaly, it is a rare congenital brain malformation in which there is failure of complete separation of the two hemispheres and failure of transverse cleavage into diencephalon and telencephalon.
For a general discussion of epidemiology, clinical presentation and pathology, please refer to the article on holoprosencephaly.
As will most cerebral structural congenital abnormalities, semilobar holoprosencephaly is visible on all modalities, but in general is identified on antenatal ultrasound (if performed), and best characterised by MRI.
The basic structure of the cerebral lobes are present, but are fused most commonly anteriorly and at the thalami and there is partial diverticulation of brain (dorsal cyst). Features include 1-4 :
- absence of septum pellucidum
- monoventricle with partially developed occipital and temporal horns
- rudimentary falx cerebri : absent anteriorly
- incompletely formed interhemispheric fissure
- partial or complete fusion of the thalami
- absent olfactory tracts and bulbs
- agenesis or hypoplasia of the corpus callosum
- incomplete hippocampal formation
This article is in need of some more references!
You can make a difference to Radiopaedia.org by adding some relevant ones.
- 1. Rollins N. Semilobar holoprosencephaly seen with diffusion tensor imaging and fiber tracking. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2005;26 (8): 2148-52. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Cayea PD, Balcar I, Alberti O et-al. Prenatal diagnosis of semilobar holoprosencephaly. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1984;142 (2): 401-2. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Mcgahan JP, Nyberg DA, Mack LA. Sonography of facial features of alobar and semilobar holoprosencephaly. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1990;154 (1): 143-8. AJR Am J Roentgenol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Paladini D, Volpe P. Ultrasound of Congenital Fetal Anomalies. Informa HealthCare. (2007) ISBN:041541444X. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|