Staging of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity
Staging of oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma uses the TNM staging system.
Primary tumour staging (T)
- Tx - tumour cannot be assessed
- T0 - no evidence of primary tumour
- Tis - carcinoma in situ
- T1 - tumour 2 cm or less in greatest dimension
- T2 - tumour greater than 2 cm and less than 4 cm in greatest dimension
- T3 - tumour greater than 4 cm in greatest dimension
- T4 - tumour invades adjacent structures (mandible, maxilla, skin, extrinsic muscles of the tongue)
Nodal status (N)
Nodal staging is the same for SCCs of the oral cavity, oropharynx, hypopharynx and larynx.
- Nx - nodes cannot be assessed
- N0 - no regional nodal metastases
- N1 - single ipsilateral node, ≤ 3cm
- N2a - single ipsilateral node, 3-6 cm
- N2b - multiple ipsilateral nodes, < 6 cm
- bilateral nodal metastases OR
- contralateral nodal metastases < 6 cm
- N3 : any nodal metastasis > 6 cm
- M0 - no metastases
- M1 - distant metastases present
This article is in need of some more references!
You can make a difference to Radiopaedia.org by adding some relevant ones.
- 1. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. Stephen B. Edge (Editor), David R. Byrd (Editor), Carolyn C. Compton (Editor), April G. Fritz (Editor), Frederick L. Greene (Editor), Andrew Trotti (Editor). Springer ISBN:0387884408 (find it at amazon.com)
- 2. Imaging of Head and Neck Cancer. A. T. Ahuja (Editor), R. M. Evans (Editor), A. D. King (Editor), C. A. van Hasselt (Editor). Cambridge University Press ISBN:1841100900 (find it at amazon.com)
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|SCC staging - Oral cavity||✗|
|Oral cavity SCC staging||✗|