Swyer-James syndrome (SJS), also known as Swyer-James-MacLeod syndrome and Bret syndrome, is a rare lung condition that manifests as unilateral hemithorax lucency as a result of postinfectious obliterative bronchiolitis.
The condition typically follows a viral respiratory infection such as adenoviruses or Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in infancy or childhood 2-6.
It is generally characterised on radiographs by a unilateral small lung with hyperlucency and air trapping 2.
CT shows the affected lung as being hyperlucent with diminished vascularity. The size of the majority of the affected lobes is smaller, although occasionally they can be normal 3. There is usually no anteroposterior gradient attenuation 4. Bronchiectasis may be present although this is not a universal finding 5.
Quantitative ventilation/perfusion lung scan shows a photopaenic area in the affected aspect.
History and etymology
The condition was first described in Canada in the 1950s by:
- Paul Robert Swyer: English paediatrician in Canada
- William Mathieson MacLeod: English pulmonologist (1917-1977)
- George C W James: Canadian radiologist
It has also been referred to as MacLeod syndrome, but this is not advised given the presence of a rare genetic malformation bearing a similar name: McLeod syndrome. It was also described by J Bret in France, hence reference to the same condition as Janus syndrome and Bret syndrome.
- 1. Zylak CJ, Eyler WR, Spizarny DL et-al. Developmental lung anomalies in the adult: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 2002;22 Spec No : S25-43. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Moore AD, Godwin JD, Dietrich PA et-al. Swyer-James syndrome: CT findings in eight patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1992;158 (6): 1211-5. AJR Am J Roentgenol (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Shi HS, Yang F, Han P et-al. Findings of chest radiograph and spiral computed tomography in Swyer-James syndrome. Chin. Med. Sci. J. 2006;21 (1): 53-6. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Marti-bonmati L, Ruiz perales F, Catala F et-al. CT findings in Swyer-James syndrome. Radiology. 1989;172 (2): 477-80. Radiology (abstract) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Lucaya J, Gartner S, García-peña P et-al. Spectrum of manifestations of Swyer-James-MacLeod syndrome. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 22 (4): 592-7. J Comput Assist Tomogr (link) - Pubmed citation
- 6. Brant WE, Helms CA. Fundamentals of diagnostic radiology. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. (2007) ISBN:0781765188. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 7. John SD, Ramanathan J, Swischuk LE. Spectrum of clinical and radiographic findings in pediatric mycoplasma pneumonia. Radiographics. 2001;21 (1): 121-31. doi:10.1148/radiographics.21.1.g01ja10121 - Pubmed citation
Synonyms & Alternative Spellings
|Synonyms or Alternative Spelling||Include in Listings?|
|Swyer James MacLeod syndrome||✓|
|Swyer James syndrome||✗|