2014 WHO classification of endometrial stromal tumors
The 2014 WHO classification is one of the classification systems for endometrial stromal tumors (EST).
Over the past four decades, EST classification has gone through various modifications, starting from the earliest study by Norris and Taylor 2. This was primarily due to the rarity of the tumors. With better understanding, and at the time of writing (mid 2016), the 2014 WHO classification has replaced the broad categories of the 2003 WHO classification following incorporation of molecular findings.
- endometrial stromal nodule (ESN)
- low-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma (LGESS)
- high-grade endometrial stromal sarcoma (HGESS)
- undifferentiated uterine sarcoma (UUS)
- 1.Kaku, Tsunehisa, et al. "Adenosarcoma of the uterus: a Gynecologic Oncology Group clinicopathologic study of 31 cases." International journal of gynecological pathology 11.2 (1992): 75-88. Pubmed citation
- 2.Norris, Henry J., and Herbert B. Taylor. "Mesenchymal tumors of the uterus. I. A clinical and pathological study of 53 endometrial stromal tumors." Cancer 19.6 (1966): 755-766. Pubmed citation
- 3.Ali, Rola H., and Marjan Rouzbahman. "Endometrial stromal tumours revisited: an update based on the 2014 WHO classification." Journal of clinical pathology (2015): jclinpath-2014. Pubmed citation