A Text-book of X-ray Diagnosis by British Authors
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
The three-volume A Text-book of X-Ray Diagnosis by British Authors was first published in 1938 and was for many years the "go to" reference book of radiology. Indeed a review from 1963 stated that "It should be considered a "must" for those undertaking the study of radiology."
It was co-edited by three giants of radiology from the 1930s: Peter Kerley (1900-1979), S Cochrane Shanks (1893-1980), and Edward W Twining (1887-1939) 6-8. Its initial cost was 50 shillings. Later editions had increasing numbers of volumes which were often released sequentially so that an edition may have taken a few years to publish.
The fourth and last edition was published in 1970. This final edition was panned by critics in the specialist journals (usually a fairly benign bunch!) for reproducing a large amount of text from the third edition which had not been updated, leaving many factual inaccuracies and accompanied by poor quality radiographs 5.
- 1st edition (1938): three volumes 1
- 2nd edition (1950): four volumes 2
- 3rd edition (1960): four volumes 3
- 4th edition (1970): six volumes 4
- 1. Book Reviews. (1938). The Indian Medical Gazette, 73(6), 371–372. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5219181/?page=2
- 2.Book Reviews. (1950). Glasgow Medical Journal, 31(9), 309–313. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5970857/
- 3. Book Reviews. (1963). Canadian Medical Association Journal, 89(2), 101–102. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1921609/pdf/canmedaj01004-0056.pdf
- 4. James J. McCort. A Textbook of X-Ray Diagnosis by British Authors. Radiology 1971 98:2, 256-256. https://doi.org/10.1148/98.2.256
- 5. (1970). A TEXT-BOOK OF X-RAY DIAGNOSIS (By British Authors in Six Volumes): Fourth Edition—Volume IV: The Alimentary Tract and the Biliary Tract. California Medicine, 113(3), 110–111. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1501532/
- 6. Sekar T, Swan KG, Vietrogoski RA. A beeline through Sir Peter James Kerley's life. (2011) AJR. American journal of roentgenology. 196 (4): W375-9. doi:10.2214/AJR.10.5825 - Pubmed
- 7. Seymour Cochrane Shanks. (1980) Lancet (London, England). 1 (8180): 1258-9. Pubmed
- 8. Isherwood I. Edward Wing Twining, 1887-1939. (1995) AJNR. American journal of neuroradiology. 16 (10): 2077-80. Pubmed