Accessory parotid gland
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Dalia Ibrahim had no recorded disclosures.View Dalia Ibrahim's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Yahya Baba had no recorded disclosures.View Yahya Baba's current disclosures
Accessory parotid glands are a normal variant and represent ectopic salivary tissue separate from, but usually in close proximity to, the main parotid glands.
Accessory parotid glands are commonly picked up incidentally on ultrasound; seen in ~20% of the general population 2.
Located on the lateral aspect of the masseter muscle, anterior to the main parotid gland, usually superior (occasionally anterior) to the main parotid duct (Stensen duct) 2,3. They are, on average, within 6 mm of the main parotid gland 8.
Accessory parotid glands have their own blood supply and secondary duct emptying into the main parotid duct 4.
Accessory parotid glands have the same US echotexture, CT density, and MRI signal as the main parotid glands.
- facial process of the parotid gland 8
Any disorder that affects the main parotid gland may also affect the accessory parotid tissue, but tumors of the accessory parotid glands are rare 5,6.
- 1. Ramachar SM, Huliyappa HA. Accessory parotid gland tumors. Ann Maxillofac Surg. 2012;2 (1): 90-3. doi:10.4103/2231-0746.95334 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Frommer J. The human accessory parotid gland: its incidence, nature, and significance. Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. 1977;43 (5): 671-6. Pubmed citation
- 3. Ramachar SM, Huliyappa HA. Accessory parotid gland tumors. Ann Maxillofac Surg. 2012;2 (1): 90-3. doi:10.4103/2231-0746.95334 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Skandalakis LJ. Surgical Anatomy. P.M.P. ISBN:9603990744. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 5. Witt RL. Salivary Gland Diseases. Thieme. (2011) ISBN:1604065370. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 6. Afify SE, Maynard JD. Tumours of the accessory lobe of the parotid gland. Postgrad Med J. 1992;68 (800): 461-2. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 7. Toh H, Kodama J, Fukuda J et-al. Incidence and histology of human accessory parotid glands. Anat. Rec. 1993;236 (3): 586-90. doi:10.1002/ar.1092360319 - Pubmed citation
- 8. Dongbin Ahn, Chang Ki Yeo, Soon Yong Han, et al. The accessory parotid gland and facial process of the parotid gland on computed tomography. (2017) PLOS ONE. 12 (9): e0184633. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0184633 - Pubmed