Acquired lipodystrophy is defined by loss of body fat, insulin resistance and metabolic profile derangement. Subtypes include Barraquer-Simons syndrome, localized lipodystrophy, and Lawrence syndrome. Lipodystrophy is illustrated as a complete or partial loss of adipose tissues from the body.
- hepatomegaly secondary to lipid accumulation followed by liver cirrhosis
- insulin resistance
- acanthosis nigricans
- hypertriglyceridemia leading to acute pancreatitis
- diabetes mellitus 3
Overactivation of the complement system has been documented in most of the cases with acquired lipodystrophy 4. The condition is often seen in patients on certain medications incuding HAART therapy for HIV disease but also can be seen in some autoimmune patients or may be idiopathic.
Whole-body MR is a modality of preference to see the pattern of fat loss in acquired lipodystrophy.
Treatment and prognosis
A multidisciplinary strategy with sufficient counseling, metreleptin (recombinant leptin) 6, symptomatic treatment and address of primary disease are a mainstay of therapy.
- 1. Garg A. Acquired and inherited lipodystrophies. (2004) The New England journal of medicine. 350 (12): 1220-34. doi:10.1056/NEJMra025261 - Pubmed
- 2. Oral EA, Simha V, Ruiz E, Andewelt A, Premkumar A, Snell P, Wagner AJ, DePaoli AM, Reitman ML, Taylor SI, Gorden P, Garg A. Leptin-replacement therapy for lipodystrophy. (2002) The New England journal of medicine. 346 (8): 570-8. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa012437 - Pubmed
- 3. Jehl A, Jehl CAC, Jehl VC, Jehl LA, Jehl DS, Jehl HO, Jehl ML, Jehl LO, Jehl CC, Jehl TC, Jehl LM, Jehl DE, Jehl. Acquired Generalized Lipodystrophy: A New Cause of Anti-PD-1 Immune-Related Diabetes. (2019) Diabetes care. doi:10.2337/dc18-2535 - Pubmed
- 4. Corvillo F, Corvillo AB, Corvillo. An overview of lipodystrophy and the role of the complement system. (2019) Molecular immunology. doi:10.1016/j.molimm.2019.05.011 - Pubmed
- 5. Hussain I, Hussain GA, Hussain. Lipodystrophy Syndromes. (2016) Endocrinology and metabolism clinics of North America. doi:10.1016/j.ecl.2016.06.012 - Pubmed
- 6. Nagayama, Ayako, Ashida, Kenji, Moritaka, Kanoko, Hidaka, Mami, Gobaru, Mizuki, Tanaka, Seiji, Hasuzawa, Nao, Akasu, Shoko, Goto, Yuka, Motomura, Seiichi, Hara, Kento, Tsuruta, Munehisa, Wada, Nobuhiko, Nakayama, Hitomi, Tajiri, Yuji, Nomura, Masatoshi. Metreleptin Supplementation for Improving Lipid and Glycemic Profiles in Acquired Diabetes Lipodystrophy: A Case Report. (2019) Journal of the Endocrine Society. 3 (11): 2179. doi:10.1210/js.2019-00251 - Pubmed
- 7. Ara jVD, Ara SF, Ara. Diagnosis and treatment of lipodystrophy: a step-by-step approach. (2019) Journal of endocrinological investigation. doi:10.1007/s40618-018-0887-z - Pubmed