Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Maxime St-Amant had no recorded disclosures.View Maxime St-Amant's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had no recorded disclosures.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands is the second most common malignancy involving the minor salivary glands behind mucoepidermoid carcinoma and the second most common malignancy involving the parotid gland.
Adenoid cystic carcinomas arise more commonly in the minor salivary glands (~55%) than in the major salivary glands. They are the most common sinonasal tumors of salivary origin. They are locally aggressive with a propensity for perineural spread 5.
Generally, a distinction is made radiologically between low-grade and high-grade adenoid cystic carcinomas. Low-grade tumors tend to be well-defined, in contradistinction to high-grade tumors, which appear infiltrative. However, both subtypes are usually homogeneously enhancing after contrast administration.
- T1: hypo- to isointense
- T2: slightly hyperintense, with higher grades being markedly hypointense 6
- T1 C+ (Gd): homogeneous enhancement
- 1. Dubergé T, Bénézery K, Resbeut M et al. Carcinomes Adénoïdes Kystiques ORL : étude Rétrospective Multicentrique De 169 cas. Cancer/Radiothérapie. 2012;16(4):247-256. doi:10.1016/j.canrad.2012.02.003
- 2. Du L, Yuan J, Guan H, Zhang W, Liang B. [Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Diagnosis of Parotid Malignant Tumors and the Pathological Basis]. Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2010;30(5):1107-10. PMID 20501408
- 3. Godge P, Sharma S, Yadav M. Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma of the Parotid Gland. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012;3(2):223. doi:10.4103/0976-237x.96838
- 4. Christe A, Waldherr C, Hallett R, Zbaeren P, Thoeny H. MR Imaging of Parotid Tumors: Typical Lesion Characteristics in MR Imaging Improve Discrimination Between Benign and Malignant Disease. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011;32(7):1202-1207. doi:10.3174/ajnr.a2520
- 5. Yih W, Kratochvil F, Stewart J. Intraoral Minor Salivary Gland Neoplasms: Review of 213 Cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005;63(6):805-810. doi:10.1016/j.joms.2005.02.021
- 6. Song J. Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma of the Sublingual Gland: A Case Report. Imaging Sci Dent. 2016;46(4):291. doi:10.5624/isd.2016.46.4.291