Adenolipoma of the thyroid gland (also known as a thyrolipoma or a thyroid hamartoma) is a rare, benign fat-containing thyroid lesion. These lesions are usually well encapsulated and are composed of varying degrees of follicular thyroid tissue (thyroid adenoma) and mature adipose tissue; the amount of fat can markedly vary (from 10-90%).
Treatment and prognosis
A large adenolipoma causing airway obstruction should be removed. Surgical excision is curative 6. As aforementioned, this lesion is benign and has no malignant potential.
- 1. Borges A, Catarino A. Case 53: adenolipoma of the thyroid gland. Radiology. 2002;225 (3): 746-50. doi:10.1148/radiol.2253010663 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Demirpolat G, Guney B, Savas R et-al. Radiologic and cytologic findings in a case of thyrolipoma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2002;23 (10): 1640-1. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Kim HS, Yun KJ. Adenolipoma of the thyroid gland: report of a case with diagnosis by fine-needle aspiration cytology. Diagn. Cytopathol. 2008;36 (4): 253-6. doi:10.1002/dc.20666 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Hjorth L, Thomsen LB, Nielsen VT. Adenolipoma of the thyroid gland. Histopathology. 1986;10 (1): 91-6. Pubmed citation
- 5. Laforga JB, Vierna J. Adenoma of thyroid gland containing fat (thyrolipoma). Report of a case. J Laryngol Otol. 1996;110 (11): 1088-9. Pubmed citation
- 6. Fitzpatrick N, Malik P, Hinton-Bayre A, Lewis R. Airway obstruction secondary to large thyroid adenolipoma. BMJ case reports. doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-204793 - Pubmed
- 7. Kim KH, Seo HS, Lee YH, Lee KY, Kim YS, Son GS, Suh SI. Study of intrathyroid fat-containing lesions using CT imaging with literature review. Neuroradiology. 55 (11): 1405-11. doi:10.1007/s00234-013-1280-4 - Pubmed
- thyroid inflammatory disease
- thyroid neoplasms
- thyroid nodules
- assessment of thyroid lesions
- postoperative assessment after thyroid cancer surgery
- ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of the thyroid