Adenolipoma (thyroid gland)
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Pawan Joon had no recorded disclosures.View Pawan Joon's current disclosures
Adenolipoma of the thyroid gland (also known as a thyrolipoma or a thyroid hamartoma) is a rare, benign fat-containing thyroid lesion. These lesions are usually well encapsulated and are composed of varying degrees of follicular thyroid tissue (thyroid adenoma) and mature adipose tissue; the amount of fat can markedly vary (from 10-90%).
Treatment and prognosis
A large adenolipoma causing airway obstruction should be removed. Surgical excision is curative 6. As aforementioned, this lesion is benign and has no malignant potential.
- 1. Borges A, Catarino A. Case 53: adenolipoma of the thyroid gland. Radiology. 2002;225 (3): 746-50. doi:10.1148/radiol.2253010663 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Demirpolat G, Guney B, Savas R et-al. Radiologic and cytologic findings in a case of thyrolipoma. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2002;23 (10): 1640-1. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Kim HS, Yun KJ. Adenolipoma of the thyroid gland: report of a case with diagnosis by fine-needle aspiration cytology. Diagn. Cytopathol. 2008;36 (4): 253-6. doi:10.1002/dc.20666 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Hjorth L, Thomsen LB, Nielsen VT. Adenolipoma of the thyroid gland. Histopathology. 1986;10 (1): 91-6. Pubmed citation
- 5. Laforga JB, Vierna J. Adenoma of thyroid gland containing fat (thyrolipoma). Report of a case. J Laryngol Otol. 1996;110 (11): 1088-9. Pubmed citation
- 6. Fitzpatrick N, Malik P, Hinton-Bayre A, Lewis R. Airway obstruction secondary to large thyroid adenolipoma. BMJ case reports. doi:10.1136/bcr-2014-204793 - Pubmed
- 7. Kim KH, Seo HS, Lee YH, Lee KY, Kim YS, Son GS, Suh SI. Study of intrathyroid fat-containing lesions using CT imaging with literature review. Neuroradiology. 55 (11): 1405-11. doi:10.1007/s00234-013-1280-4 - Pubmed