Adenosquamous carcinoma of lung
Adenosquamous carcinoma (ASC) of the lung is a rare type of non-small cell lung cancer.
It is thought to constituting 0.4-4% of cases non-small cell lung cancer.
The definition of adenosquamous carcinoma indicates a carcinoma showing components of adenocarcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, with each comprising at least 10% of the tumour 4.
There may be a slight predominance towards the periphery of the lung 5-6.
There appears to be a wide imaging spectrum both in terms of size and morphology 5. Differentiation from other histological forms on imaging grounds alone can be difficult. They usually present as a single lesion, with mean tumour size ranging from 2.8 to 3.8 cm (range 0.6-11 cm), based on two studies 5-6.
Treatment and prognosis
It is thought to be more aggressive than both pure adenocarcinoma of the lung and pure squamous cell carcinoma of the lung 1. Early stage disease may be amenable to surgery. There may also be an increased rate of lymph node metastases at the time of presentation compared with other histological types 7.
- 1. Maeda H, Matsumura A, Kawabata T et-al. Adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung: surgical results as compared with squamous cell and adenocarcinoma cases. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012;41 (2): 357-61. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg (full text) - doi:10.1016/j.ejcts.2011.05.050 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Naunheim KS, Taylor JR, Skosey C et-al. Adenosquamous lung carcinoma: clinical characteristics, treatment, and prognosis. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 1987;44 (5): 462-6. Pubmed citation
- 3. Gawrychowski J, BrulińSki K, Malinowski E et-al. Prognosis and survival after radical resection of primary adenosquamous lung carcinoma. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005;27 (4): 686-92. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg (full text) - doi:10.1016/j.ejcts.2004.12.030 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Tochigi N, Dacic S, Nikiforova M et-al. Adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung: a microdissection study of KRAS and EGFR mutational and amplification status in a western patient population. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 2011;135 (5): 783-9. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. (full text) - doi:10.1309/AJCP08IQZAOGYLFL - Pubmed citation
- 5. Kazerooni EA, Bhalla M, Shepard JA et-al. Adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung: radiologic appearance. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1994;163 (2): 301-6. doi:10.2214/ajr.163.2.8037019 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Yu JQ, Yang ZG, Austin JH et-al. Adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung: CT-pathological correlation. Clin Radiol. 2005;60 (3): 364-9. doi:10.1016/j.crad.2004.08.014 - Pubmed citation
- 7. Hsia JY, Chen CY, Hsu CP et-al. Adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung. Surgical results compared with squamous cell and adenocarcinoma. Scand. Cardiovasc. J. 1999;33 (1): 29-32. Pubmed citation
lung cancer: an overview
non-small-cell lung cancer
- pre-invasive tumours
- minimally invasive tumours
- invasive tumours
- adenosquamous carcinoma
- large cell carcinoma
- primary sarcomatoid carcinoma of the lung
- squamous cell carcinoma
- salivary gland-type tumours
- pulmonary neuroendocrine tumours
- preinvasive lesions
- benign neoplasms
- pulmonary metastases
- lung cancer screening
- lung cancer staging
- non-small-cell lung cancer