Ahlbäck classification of knee osteoarthritis
Citation, DOI & article data
The Ahlbäck classification is one of many ways to grade knee osteoarthritis.
- grade 1: joint space narrowing (less than 3 mm)
- grade 2: joint space obliteration
- grade 3: minor bone attrition (0-5 mm)
- grade 4: moderate bone attrition (5-10 mm)
- grade 5: severe bone attrition (more than 10 mm)
History and etymology
This classification was proposed by Ahlback et al. in 1968.
- 1. Petersson IF, Boegård T, Saxne T et-al. Radiographic osteoarthritis of the knee classified by the Ahlbäck and Kellgren & Lawrence systems for the tibiofemoral joint in people aged 35-54 years with chronic knee pain. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 1997;56 (8): 493-6. doi:10.1136/ard.56.8.493 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation