Ahlbäck classification of knee osteoarthritis
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Prashant Mudgal had no recorded disclosures.View Prashant Mudgal's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had no recorded disclosures.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
The Ahlbäck classification is one of many ways to grade knee osteoarthritis.
- grade 1: joint space narrowing (less than 3 mm)
- grade 2: joint space obliteration
- grade 3: minor bone attrition (0-5 mm)
- grade 4: moderate bone attrition (5-10 mm)
- grade 5: severe bone attrition (more than 10 mm)
History and etymology
This classification was proposed by Ahlback et al. in 1968.
- 1. Petersson IF, Boegård T, Saxne T et-al. Radiographic osteoarthritis of the knee classified by the Ahlbäck and Kellgren & Lawrence systems for the tibiofemoral joint in people aged 35-54 years with chronic knee pain. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 1997;56 (8): 493-6. doi:10.1136/ard.56.8.493 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation