Citation, DOI & article data
The term applies to inguinal hernia containing appendix regardless of whether there are complications such as appendicitis 5.
The appendix may remain in an inguinal hernia without symptoms. If complications develop, an atypical presentation of acute appendicitis is expected, which may mimic incarcerated inguinal hernia.
- blind-ending tubular structure arising from cecum and extending into inguinal sac
- dilated lumen, wall enhancement and thickening, peri-appendiceal fat stranding are suggestive of acute appendicitis
- extension of the appendix into the inguinal sac
- if acutely inflamed, the appendix is dilated, non-compressible, thickened and hypervascular
History and etymology
Claudius Amyand (c.1681-1740) was a French surgeon who performed the first successful appendectomy in 1735, on an 11-year-old boy who presented with an inflamed, perforated appendix in his inguinal hernia sac 7.
- 1. Issa I, Baydoun H. Mesenteric panniculitis: various presentations and treatment regimens. World J. Gastroenterol. 2009;15 (30): 3827-30. World J. Gastroenterol. (link) - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Junaid J, Fawad A. A normal appendix in a painful sliding hernia--an unusual case. J Pak Med Assoc. 2012;62 (4): 416-7. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Zaharie F, Tomuş C, Mocan L et-al. Perforated appendix with periappendicular abscess in a inguinal hernia sac--Amyand's hernia. Chirurgia (Bucur). 107 (4): 521-3. - Pubmed citation
- 4. Luchs JS, Halpern D, Katz DS. Amyand's hernia: prospective CT diagnosis. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2000;24 (6): 884-6. Pubmed citation
- 5. Tsang WK, Lee KL, Tam KF et-al. Acute appendicitis complicating Amyand's hernia: imaging features and literature review. Hong Kong Med J.20 (3): 255-7. Pubmed citation
- 6. Michalinos A, Moris D, Vernadakis S. Amyand's hernia: a review. (2014) American journal of surgery. 207 (6): 989-95. doi:10.1016/j.amjsurg.2013.07.043 - Pubmed
- 7. Hutchinson R. Amyand's hernia. (1993) Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine. 86 (2): 104-5. Pubmed