Anterior choroidal artery syndrome
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Prashant Mudgal had no recorded disclosures.View Prashant Mudgal's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Craig Hacking had the following disclosures:
- Philips Australia, Paid speaker at Philips Spectral CT events (ongoing)
These were assessed during peer review and were determined to not be relevant to the changes that were made.View Craig Hacking's current disclosures
Anterior choroidal artery syndrome is a rare entity characterized by the triad of:
The syndrome may also be associated with neuropsychological disorders, including left neglect syndrome in right-sided lesions and disorders of speech in left-sided lesions.
Incomplete forms of the syndrome are more common than that of complete forms. The incomplete forms include lacunar syndromes and ataxic hemiparesis 5.
The complete anterior choroidal artery strokes are usually associated with cardioembolic sources and carotid stenosis. Smaller strokes that involve only parts of the territory are typically due to T2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension and hyperlipidemia 5. The triad of symptoms is rare to see because of the anastomosis with perforators from the middle cerebral, posterior cerebral and posterior communicating arteries.
The anterior choroidal artery has an extensive area of supply and large variations in its distributed territory 6. As a result of its extensive and strategic supply, anterior choroidal artery infarcts can often be confused with posterior cerebral artery or middle cerebral infarcts 6.
- 1. Hupperts R, Lodder J, Heuts-van Raak E, Kessels F. Infarcts in the Anterior Choroidal Artery Territory. Brain. 1994;117(4):825-834. doi:10.1093/brain/117.4.825
- 2. Drábek P. [Anterior Choroidal Artery Syndromes]. Cesk Neurol Neurochir. 1991;54(4):208-11. PMID 1809518
- 3. Decroix J, Cambier J, Masson M. [The Anterior Choroidal Artery Syndrome]. Presse Med. 1985;14(19):1085-7. PMID 3158965
- 4. Pearse Morris. Practical Neuroangiography. (2007) ISBN: 0781765153
- 5. Swaleha Nadaf, Rahul T Chakor, Kaumil Vipul Kothari, Bhagyadhan A Patel. Anterior Choroidal Artery Infarction. Case Reports. 2018;2018:bcr-2017-222414. doi:10.1136/bcr-2017-222414
- 6. Ghika J. Deep Perforators From the Carotid System. Arch Neurol. 1990;47(10):1097. doi:10.1001/archneur.1990.00530100063014