Anterior spinal artery
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Jeremy Jones had no recorded disclosures.View Jeremy Jones's current disclosures
The anterior spinal artery supplies the anterior portion of the spinal cord and arises from the vertebral artery (V4, intradural segment) in the region of the medulla oblongata. The two vertebral arteries (one of which is usually bigger than the other) anastomose in the midline to form a single anterior spinal artery at the level of the foramen magnum.
It descends along the anterior surface of the spinal cord, within the anterior median fissure and is covered by pia mater, which creates a sheath (linea splendens). Along its course, it is reinforced by other branches that enter the spinal canal via the intervertebral foraminae. Although communication exists at multiple levels, the supply of the cord can be thought of as occurring in three relatively separate sections, supplied by somewhat predictable feeders 4.
The anterior spinal artery communicates sporadically with the posterior spinal arteries via a pial plexus that encases the cord. At most levels it gives off a sulcal artery which enters the anterior median fissure.
It terminates inferiorly by forming the cruciate anastomosis of the conus medullaris with the posterior spinal arteries 5.
Variation of the anterior spinal artery origin include 6:
duplication, or two independent anterior spinal arteries
single origin of anterior spinal artery from unilateral vertebral artery
single or duplicate anterior spinal arteries arising off vascular arcade between vertebral arteries
- 1. Richard Lee Drake, Henry Gray, Wayne Vogl et al. Gray's Anatomy for Students. (2005) ISBN: 0443071683 - Google Books
- 2. Michael Schünke. Thieme Atlas of Anatomy. (2007) ISBN: 9783131421210 - Google Books
- 3. Nicholas A. Boon, Sir Stanley Davidson. Davidson's Principles and Practice of Medicine. (2006) ISBN: 9780443100574 - Google Books
- 4. Novy J, Carruzzo A, Maeder P, Bogousslavsky J. Spinal Cord Ischemia: Clinical and Imaging Patterns, Pathogenesis, and Outcomes in 27 Patients. Arch Neurol. 2006;63(8):1113-20. doi:10.1001/archneur.63.8.1113 - Pubmed
- 5. R. Shane Tubbs, Mohammadali M. Shoja, Marios Loukas. Bergman's Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Human Anatomic Variation. (2016) ISBN: 9781118430354 - Google Books
- 6. Er U, Fraser K, Lanzino G. The Anterior Spinal Artery Origin: A Microanatomical Study. Spinal Cord. 2007;46(1):45-9. doi:10.1038/sj.sc.3102060 - Pubmed