Antiglide plate fixation
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Joachim Feger had no recorded disclosures.View Joachim Feger's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Calum Worsley had no recorded disclosures.View Calum Worsley's current disclosures
They are used to counteract vertical shear forces during axial loading in the diaphyseal bone and to prevent sliding/shortening of the fracture fragments.
One of the main indications is the fixation of oblique lateral malleolar fractures 1.
The antiglide plate fixation technique comprises the following 2:
- intra-operative contouring or bending one end towards the oblique fracture plane
- placement of the plate facing the oblique part of the fracture plane (commonly posterolateral or posterior in lateral malleolar fractures)
- screw fixation of proximal screws and lag screws
Complications of antiglide plate fixation of the lateral malleolus include the following 2:
The radiological report should include the description of the following features 1:
Open reduction internal fixation of oblique lateral malleolar (Weber type B) fracture with an antiglide plate fixation from the posterolateral aspect and additional fracture compression with lag screws inserted through the plate offer increased torsional stability 3. It can be combined with screw fixation of tibial or fibular avulsion fractures or syndesmotic screw fixation.
- 1. Kilian M, Csörgö P, Vajczikova S, Luha J, Zamborsky R. Antiglide Versus Lateral Plate Fixation for Danis-Weber Type B Malleolar Fractures Caused by Supination-External Rotation Injury. J Clin Orthop Trauma. 2017;8(4):327-31. doi:10.1016/j.jcot.2017.06.005 - Pubmed
- 2. Ahn J, Kim S, Lee J, Woo K, Sung K. Incidence of Peroneal Tendinopathy After Application of a Posterior Antiglide Plate for Repair of Supination External Rotation Lateral Malleolar Fractures. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016;55(1):90-3. doi:10.1053/j.jfas.2015.07.007 - Pubmed
- 3. Buscharino B, Moretti R, Hungria J et al. Biomechanical Study: Resistance Comparison of Posterior Antiglide Plate and Lateral Plate on Synthetic Bone Models Simulating Danis-Weber B Malleolar Fractures. Rev Bras Ortop. 2013;48(3):221-7. doi:10.1016/j.rboe.2012.09.005 - Pubmed