Aortic arch aneurysm
Citation, DOI & article data
An aortic arch aneurysm is a less common form of thoracic aortic aneurysm and may account for around 10% of such aneurysms.
There is a recognized male predilection with most patient's presenting around to 6th to 7th decades of life.
It can be clinically silent and patients can present with complications such as cerebral injury and/or a catastrophic vascular event especially if it involves vessels supplying to the head, neck, and upper limbs.
As with other thoracic aneurysms, atherosclerosis still remains the commonest etiology.
Other associations include:
- Marfan syndrome
- Loeys-Dietz syndrome
- Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
- Turner syndrome
- familial TAA syndrome
- Behcet disease
- deceleration injuries: have been reported to cause dilation of the segment just after the aortic arch (usually tends to represent pseudoaneurysms)
- infectious as well as non-infectious inflammatory conditions of the aorta or forms of aortitis such as:
- 1. Samdish Sethi, Utsav Parekh. Aortic Arch Aneurysm. (2020) Pubmed
- 2. Isselbacher EM. Thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysms. (2005) Circulation. 111 (6): 816-28. doi:10.1161/01.CIR.0000154569.08857.7A - Pubmed
- 3. https://www.jtcvs.org/article/S0022-5223(16)31626-9/pdf
- 4. Cazavet, Alexandre, Alacoque, Xavier, Marcheix, Bertrand, Chaufour, Xavier, Rousseau, Herve, Glock, Yves, Leobon, Bertrand. Aortic arch aneurysm: short- and mid-term results comparing open arch surgery and the hybrid procedure. (2016) European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. 49 (1): 134. doi:10.1093/ejcts/ezv024
- 5. Bogaard K, Scholte AJ. Aortic arch aneurysm. (2004) Heart (British Cardiac Society). 90 (9): 1035. doi:10.1136/hrt.2003.033233 - Pubmed
- 6. Prachi P. Agarwal, Aamer Chughtai, Frederick R. K. Matzinger, Ella A. Kazerooni. Multidetector CT of Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms1. (2009) RadioGraphics. doi:10.1148/rg.292075080
- 7. Rommens K & Estrera A. Contemporary Management of Aortic Arch Aneurysm. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019;31(4):697-702. doi:10.1053/j.semtcvs.2019.03.011 - Pubmed