Aortic valve prolapse
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Kelly Trinh had no recorded disclosures.View Kelly Trinh's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had no recorded disclosures.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Aortic valve prolapse refers to the improper closure of aortic valve leaflets. Aortic valve prolapse can result in aortic regurgitation, aortic root dilatation, and eccentric remodeling of the left ventricle.
On this page:
- pulmonary atresia
- rheumatic aortic valve disease
- bicuspid aortic valve
- Marfan syndrome
- infective endocarditis
- atrial septal defect
- patent ductus arteriosus 1
Two-dimensional echocardiography demonstrated a downward displacement of the aortic valve leaflets towards the left ventricular outflow tract during diastole. M mode echocardiography showed increased aortic valve reflections, eccentric left ventricular hypertrophy, and dilatation of the aortic root due to aortic regurgitation 2,3.
Color and continuous Doppler presented continuous turbulence in the left ventricular outflow tract 4.
Treatment and prognosis
Surgical procedures such as subcommisural annuloplasty and valvular replacement can help correct the prolapsing aortic valve cusps 5.
- 1. Shapiro L, Thwaites B, Westgate C, Donaldson R. Prevalence and Clinical Significance of Aortic Valve Prolapse. Br Heart J. 1985;54(2):179-83. doi:10.1136/hrt.54.2.179 - Pubmed
- 2. Morganroth J, Jones R, Chen C, Naito M. Two Dimensional Echocardiography in Mitral, Aortic and Tricuspid Valve Prolapse. The Clinical Problem, Cardiac Nuclear Imaging Considerations and a Proposed Standard for Diagnosis. Am J Cardiol. 1980;46(7):1164-77. doi:10.1016/0002-9149(80)90287-8 - Pubmed
- 3. Golińska Grzybała K, Kabłak-Ziembicka A, Gackowski A. Unicuspid Aortic Valve Prolapse with Severe Regurgitation. Kardiol Pol. 2021;79(4):465-6. doi:10.33963/KP.15862 - Pubmed
- 4. Hu G, Zhu X, Song F. Aortic Valve Prolapse Misdiagnosed as Aortic Sinus Aneurysm in Patients with Ventricular Septal Defect. Analysis of the Echocardiographic Findings. Saudi Med J. 2017;38(4):431-4. doi:10.15537/smj.2017.4.18761 - Pubmed
- 5. El Khoury G, Vanoverschelde J, Glineur D et al. Repair of Aortic Valve Prolapse: Experience with 44 Patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2004;26(3):628-33. doi:10.1016/j.ejcts.2004.05.027 - Pubmed