Archives of the Roentgen Ray
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Daniel J Bell had no recorded disclosures.View Daniel J Bell's current disclosures
The Archives of the Roentgen Ray was a general radiology journal published from 1897 to 1915. In 1915, it was renamed the Archives of Radiology and Electrotherapy. The Archives was a forerunner publication of the British Journal of Radiology (BJR).
On this page:
In 1897, after a single year in print, the Archives of Clinical Skiagraphy became the Archives of the Roentgen Ray. The reasoning for changing the title was that the editors wanted to widen the scope of the journal to cover all things related to x-rays, not just the clinical applications.
The first issue of volume 2 of the renamed periodical was published in July 1897 and originally it came out on a quarterly basis. Originally it cost four shillings in the UK, and was available to American readers for $1.
In the early years of the Archives of the Roentgen Ray, the Editorial team was fairly fluid with Co-Editors, instead of a single Editor. Sydney Rowland, the founding editor of the Archives of Clinical Skiagraphy, stayed on as a junior co-editor of the renamed journal until May 1898. From 1905, John Hall-Edwards became the first sole Editor 2.
- Jul 1897- May 1898: William S Hedley (1841-1930): senior co-editor
Sydney Rowland (1872-1917): junior co-editor
- Aug 1898 - Oct 1903: Ernest Payne (d. 1936)
- Aug 1898 - Sep 1900: Thomas Moore (1838-1900)
- Nov 1900 - Dec 1902: Charles W Mansell-Moullin (1851-1940)
- Dec 1902 - July 1903: Frank Harrison Low (?1850s-1912) 3
- Aug 1903 - Sep 1905: John F Hall-Edwards (1858-1926)
- 1905-1914: William Deane Butcher (1846-1919)
- 1. Anon. "Editor's Note." Archives of the Roentgen Ray. 1897;2:3-3. https://doi.org/10.1259/arr.1897.0002. https://doi.org/10.1259/arr.1897.0002
- 2. Edmund H. Burrows. Pioneers and Early Years. (1986) https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/_/kGdrAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0&kptab=overview
- 3. "Dr. Frank Harrison Low". Br Med J. 1912 Nov 16; 2(2707): 1426. PMCID: PMC2334754. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2334754/