An Aschoff’s proliferative centre (CPA) also sometimes known as a radial scar is not really a scar, but an idiopathic entity not correlated with past trauma
It histologically presents single or multiple areas of proliferative adenosis which branch off from an area of fibroelastosis, often associated with areas of atypical epithelial hyperplasia, ductal carcinoma, lobular or tubular. It has a central core consisting of sclerotic connective tissue and elastin. Ductal structures entrapped in the center have an intact sclerotic mioepiteliale layer, that is the most important feature to distinguish it from tubular carcinoma. At the periphery there are distorted ducts and lobules consisting of benign proliferation, such as sclerosing adenosis, ductal hyperplasia, papillary features 1.
At mammography CPA has the appearance of a spiculated density, usually small in size, with long, thin spicules which radiate from a radiolucent center (black star) or radio-opaque (white star), rarely with associated microcalcifications 2, but never with skin infiltration.
- 1. Demirkazik FB, Gülsün M, Firat P. Mammographic features of nonpalpable spiculated lesions. Clin Imaging. 27 (5): 293-7. Clin Imaging (link) - Pubmed citation
- 2. Alleva DQ, Smetherman DH, Farr GH et-al. Radial scar of the breast: radiologic-pathologic correlation in 22 cases. Radiographics. 1999;19 Spec No : S27-35. - Pubmed citation
- 3. Tavassoli FA. Pathology of the breast. McGraw-Hill Professional. (1999) ISBN:0838577040. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 4. Jacobs TW, Byrne C, Colditz G, Connolly JL and Schnitt SJ, Radial scars in benign breast-biopsy specimens and the risk of breast cancer, N Eng J Med, 1999, 340 : 430-436.
- 5. Callonnec F, Clément JF, D'anjou J et-al. [Mammographic aspects of Aschoff's proliferative centres]. J Radiol. 1993;74 (2): 91-8. - Pubmed citation
- 6. Modena S. Trattato di senologia. (2006) ISBN:8829918091. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon
- 7. Tabár L, Dean PB, Tot T. Teaching atlas of mammography. George Thieme Verlag. (2001) ISBN:0865779627. Read it at Google Books - Find it at Amazon