Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created David Carroll had no recorded disclosures.View David Carroll's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Francis Fortin had no recorded disclosures.View Francis Fortin's current disclosures
The B-line is an artifact relevant in lung ultrasonography. As originally described, it has seven defining features 1:
- a hydroaeric comet-tail artifact
- arising from the pleural line
- extending indeﬁnitely
- erasing A-lines
- moving in concert with lung sliding, if lung sliding is present
B-line distribution corresponds with sub-pleural thickened interlobular septa, as demonstrated by CT, and are absent under normal conditions and present in alveolar-interstitial syndromes 2. Subpleural septal edema is postulated to provide a bubble-tetrahedron interface, generating a series of very closely spaced reverberations at a distance below the resolution of ultrasound which is interpreted as a confluent vertical echo which does not fade with increasing depth 3.
A few B-lines (<3/field of view) can often be found under normal circumstances, especially in the elderly, and around the base of the lungs 4.
- 1. Lung ultrasound—a primary survey of the acutely dyspneic patient. (2016) Journal of Intensive Care. 4 (1): 57. doi:10.1186/s40560-016-0180-1 - Pubmed
- 2. Volpicelli G, Mussa A, Garofalo G, Cardinale L, Casoli G, Perotto F, Fava C, Frascisco M. Bedside lung ultrasound in the assessment of alveolar-interstitial syndrome. (2006) The American journal of emergency medicine. 24 (6): 689-96. doi:10.1016/j.ajem.2006.02.013 - Pubmed
- 3. Soldati G, Demi M, Inchingolo R, Smargiassi A, Demi L. On the Physical Basis of Pulmonary Sonographic Interstitial Syndrome. (2016) Journal of ultrasound in medicine : official journal of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. 35 (10): 2075-86. doi:10.7863/ultra.15.08023 - Pubmed
- 4. Dietrich CF, Dietrich MG, Dietrich BM, Dietrich VG, Dietrich SA, Dietrich WD, Dietrich ANSS, Dietrich CXW, Dietrich FM, Dietrich YD. Lung B-line artefacts and their use. (2016) Journal of Thoracic Disease. 8 (6): 1356-1365. doi:10.21037/jtd.2016.04.55 - Pubmed