Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Behrang Amini had no recorded disclosures.View Behrang Amini's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Calum Worsley had no recorded disclosures.View Calum Worsley's current disclosures
The Böhler angle, also written as Bohler angle or Boehler angle, is also called the calcaneal angle or tuber joint angle. It is used in the assessment of intra-articular calcaneal fractures.
The Böhler angle is the angle on a lateral foot radiograph between a line joining the highest point of the anterior process of the calcaneus and the highest point of the posterior articular facet, and a line joining the highest point of the posterior articular facet with the highest point of the calcaneal tuberosity 1.
The normal value for the Böhler angle is between 25° and 40° 1. Although there is wide variation between individuals, there is relatively little variation between the left and right feet of a single individual 2. A reduced Böhler angle can be seen in displaced intra-articular calcaneal fractures. The degree of reduction in the Böhler angle is an indicator of the severity of calcaneal injury, and the degree to which the Böhler angle is restored at surgery is correlated with functional outcome 3.
A mildly decreased Böhler angle may be seen in a normal individual 4 and a normal Böhler angle does not exclude a non-displaced calcaneal fracture.
History and etymology
It is named after Lorenz Böhler (1885-1973) who was an Austrian surgeon, regarded as the founder of traumatology 5.
- 1. Lau B, Allahabadi S, Palanca A, Oji D. Understanding Radiographic Measurements Used in Foot and Ankle Surgery. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2021;30(2):e139-54. doi:10.5435/jaaos-d-20-00189 - Pubmed
- 2. Sengodan V, Amruth K, Karthikeyan. Bohler's and Gissane Angles in the Indian Population. J Clin Imaging Sci. 2012;2:77. doi:10.4103/2156-7514.104310 - Pubmed
- 3. Su Y, Chen W, Zhang T, Wu X, Wu Z, Zhang Y. Bohler's Angle's Role in Assessing the Injury Severity and Functional Outcome of Internal Fixation for Displaced Intra-Articular Calcaneal Fractures: A Retrospective Study. BMC Surg. 2013;13(1):40. doi:10.1186/1471-2482-13-40 - Pubmed
- 4. Sengodan V, Amruth K, Karthikeyan. Bohler's and Gissane Angles in the Indian Population. J Clin Imaging Sci. 2012;2:77. doi:10.4103/2156-7514.104310 - Pubmed
- 5. Bohler J. Lorenz Böhler: In Memoriam. J Trauma. 1973;13(7):658-9. - Pubmed