Bowel wall fat deposition
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
Bowel wall fat deposition refers to the infiltration of the submucosa with fat and usually occurs in chronic processes such as inflammatory bowel disease, causing characteristic fat halo sign on CT images.
Other differential diagnoses include:
- normal variant - particularly in obese patients with insulin resistance
- celiac disease - especially in the duodenum and jejunum
- post chemotherapy - cytoreductive chemotherapy for treatment of lymphoma or leukemia that can be causing acute bowel wall fat deposition.
- post radiotherapy - in the rectum
- graft-versus-host disease