Bronchial arterial aneurysm
Citation, DOI and article data
Bronchial arterial aneurysm refers to any form of aneurysmal dilatation involving any segment of the bronchial artery. The term is sometimes used synonymously with a bronchial arterial pseudoaneurysm 2.
They are a rare entity and are reported in <1% of those who undergo selective bronchial arterial angiograms 8.
Their exact pathogenesis is not well known. Most cases have been reported in patients with the following background conditions:
- lung cancer
- recurrent infection
- thoracic trauma
- Rendu-Osler-Weber syndrome 2
Bronchial artery aneurysms have also been found in individuals with predisposing congenital conditions and systemic vascular diseases such as cystic fibrosis 3 and atherosclerosis. In patients without predisposing pulmonary or systemic disease, bronchial artery aneurysms are extremely rare.
They can be mediastinal (juxta-aortic) or intrapulmonary.
Treatment and prognosis
The treatment options for bronchial artery aneurysm include transcatheter embolization, placement of a covered stent, and surgery.
Catastrophic hemorrhage is is one of the most feared complications.
- 1. Lü PH, Wang LF, Su YS et-al. Endovascular therapy of bronchial artery aneurysm: five cases with six aneurysms. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2011;34 (3): 508-12. doi:10.1007/s00270-010-9895-x - Pubmed citation
- 2. Yoon W, Kim JK, Kim YH et-al. Bronchial and nonbronchial systemic artery embolization for life-threatening hemoptysis: a comprehensive review. Radiographics. 22 (6): 1395-409. Radiographics (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 3. Kalva SP, Wicky S. Mediastinal bronchial artery aneurysms: endovascular therapy in two patients. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2006;68 (6): 858-61. doi:10.1002/ccd.20902 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Yanagihara K, Ueno Y, Kobayashi T et-al. Bronchial artery aneurysm. Ann. Thorac. Surg. 1999;67 (3): 854-5. Ann. Thorac. Surg. (link) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Wilson SR, Winger DI, Katz DS. CT visualization of mediastinal bronchial artery aneurysm. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2006;187 (5): W544-5. doi:10.2214/AJR.06.0291 - Pubmed citation
- 6. Remy-jardin M, Remy J, Ramon P et-al. Mediastinal bronchial artery aneurysm: dynamic computed tomography appearance. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 14 (2): 118-20. - Pubmed citation
- 7. Shaer AH, Bashist B. Computed tomography of bronchial artery aneurysm with erosion into the esophagus. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 13 (6): 1069-71. - Pubmed citation
- 8. Zhang LJ, Yang GF, Lu GM. Noninvasive diagnosis of bronchial artery aneurysm using dual-source computed tomography angiography. Acta Radiol. 2008;49 (3): 291-4. doi:10.1080/02841850701753714 - Pubmed citation
- 9. Vernhet H, Bousquet C, Jean B et-al. Bronchial aneurysms mimicking aortic aneurysms: endovascular treatment in two patients. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 22 (3): 254-7. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol (link) - Pubmed citation
- 10. Bak SH, Han H. Diagnosis of bronchial artery aneurysm by computed tomography: a case report. (2017) Radiology case reports. 12 (3): 455-459. doi:10.1016/j.radcr.2017.04.017 - Pubmed