Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Bruno Di Muzio had no recorded disclosures.View Bruno Di Muzio's current disclosures
Bronchial diverticula are blind-ended outpouchings arising from the bronchial tree. They are commonly pulsion diverticula acquired related to chronic cough.
Please refer to the article on tracheal diverticula for further details in the same condition involving the upper airways.
They are relatively common on CT studies, particularly in smokers 2, but can also be present in non-smokers. There may be a slightly increased male predilection but no significant age predilection 3.
They can be of variable shape and size although most tend to be around 1-2 mm in size 3.
Their exact etiology is variable but chronic inflammatory tracheobronchial changes and increased endoluminal pressure may play a role in their development 4.
- 1. Higuchi T, Takahashi N, Shiotani M et-al. Main bronchial diverticula in the subcarinal region: their relation to airflow limitations. Acta Radiol. 2012;53 (1): 44-8. doi:10.1258/ar.2011.110222 - Pubmed citation
- 2. Sverzellati N, Ingegnoli A, Calabrò E et-al. Bronchial diverticula in smokers on thin-section CT. Eur Radiol. 2010;20 (1): 88-94. doi:10.1007/s00330-009-1515-2 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Miyara T, Oshiro Y, Yamashiro T et-al. Bronchial diverticula detected by multidetector-row computed tomography: incidence and clinical features. J Thorac Imaging. 2011;26 (3): 204-8. doi:10.1097/RTI.0b013e3181ebedc4 - Pubmed citation
- 4. Polverosi R, Carloni A, Poletti V. Tracheal and main bronchial diverticula: the role of CT. Radiol Med. 2008;113 (2): 181-9. doi:10.1007/s11547-008-0249-6 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Ciccarese F, Garzillo G, Chiesa AM, Poerio A, Baroncini S, Bacchi Reggiano ML, Sverzellati N, Zompatori M. Incidental finding of bronchial diverticula in a non-smoker population: evaluation on thin-section CT. Monaldi archives for chest disease = Archivio Monaldi per le malattie del torace. 81 (1-2): 743. doi:10.4081/monaldi.2015.743 - Pubmed