A bronchial hamartoma falls under the same spectrum of pathology as a pulmonary hamartoma (except for their location). An endobronchial location is less common than than a peripheral pulmonary location where thay only account for around 1.4-10% of all intrathoracic hamartomas.
The mean age of the patient at presentation ranges around the 6th to 7th decades. There may be a slight male predominance.
As with other hamartomas, they are comprised of mature cartilage and fat elements with muscle and bone elements also present in some cases.
Treatment and prognosis
Although they are benign they can be associated with bronchial obstruction and bleeding on some occasions. Endoscopic treatment with rigid bronchoscopy and lasers provides an excellent outcome and can be offered in patient's having lesions which can causes obstruction.
- 1. Cosio B. Chest. 2002;122 (1): . doi:10.1378/chest.122.1.202
- 2. Freeman A, Weeden D, Wilkinson J et-al. An unusual bronchial obstruction in a fit young man. BMJ Case Rep. 2013;2013 (jan09 1): . doi:10.1136/bcr-2012-007766 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Rakovich G, Ouellette D. Obstructive bronchial hamartoma. CMAJ. 2011;183 (13): E1039. doi:10.1503/cmaj.110134 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Karabulut N, Bir F, Yuncu G et-al. Endobronchial lipomatous hamartoma: an unusual cause of bronchial obstruction (2007: 7b). Eur Radiol. 2007;17 (10): 2687-90. doi:10.1007/s00330-006-0534-5 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Stey CA, Vogt P, Russi EW. Endobronchial lipomatous hamartoma: a rare cause of bronchial occlusion. Chest. 1998;113 (1): 254-5. Pubmed citation
- 6. Oguma T, Takiguchi H, Niimi K et-al. Endobronchial hamartoma as a cause of pneumonia. Am J Case Rep. 2014;15: 388-92. doi:10.12659/AJCR.890869 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 7. Tajima H, Hayashi Y, Maehara T et-al. Endobronchial hamartoma treated by an Nd-YAG laser: report of a case. Surg. Today. 1998;28 (10): 1078-80. Pubmed citation
- 8. Ortiz-Saracho J, Picher J, Garcia-Rull S et-al. Endobronchial hamartoma resected by rigid bronchoscope. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1993;7 (8): 445-6. Pubmed citation