A bronchial hamartoma falls under the same spectrum of pathology as a pulmonary hamartoma (except for their location), but a hamartoma in an bronchial location is less common than a peripheral pulmonary location. Bronchial hamartoma accounts for only around 1.4-10% of all intrathoracic hamartomas.
The mean age of patients at presentation ranges between the 6th to 7th decades. There may be a slight male predominance.
As with other hamartomas, bronchial hamartomas are comprised of mature cartilage and fat elements, as well as muscle and bone elements also present in some cases.
Bronchial hamartomas typically contain fat (HU of -40 to -120), calcification (HU of >200), or a combination of both.
There may be associated distal lung collapse or airway dilatation.
Treatment and prognosis
Although bronchial hamartomas are benign they can be associated with bronchial obstruction and bleeding in some cases. Endoscopic treatment with rigid bronchoscopy and lasers provides an excellent outcome and can be offered in patient's with lesions causing obstruction.
- 1. Cosio B. Chest. 2002;122 (1): . doi:10.1378/chest.122.1.202
- 2. Freeman A, Weeden D, Wilkinson J et-al. An unusual bronchial obstruction in a fit young man. BMJ Case Rep. 2013;2013 (jan09 1): . doi:10.1136/bcr-2012-007766 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 3. Rakovich G, Ouellette D. Obstructive bronchial hamartoma. CMAJ. 2011;183 (13): E1039. doi:10.1503/cmaj.110134 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 4. Karabulut N, Bir F, Yuncu G et-al. Endobronchial lipomatous hamartoma: an unusual cause of bronchial obstruction (2007: 7b). Eur Radiol. 2007;17 (10): 2687-90. doi:10.1007/s00330-006-0534-5 - Pubmed citation
- 5. Stey CA, Vogt P, Russi EW. Endobronchial lipomatous hamartoma: a rare cause of bronchial occlusion. Chest. 1998;113 (1): 254-5. Pubmed citation
- 6. Oguma T, Takiguchi H, Niimi K et-al. Endobronchial hamartoma as a cause of pneumonia. Am J Case Rep. 2014;15: 388-92. doi:10.12659/AJCR.890869 - Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 7. Tajima H, Hayashi Y, Maehara T et-al. Endobronchial hamartoma treated by an Nd-YAG laser: report of a case. Surg. Today. 1998;28 (10): 1078-80. Pubmed citation
- 8. Ortiz-Saracho J, Picher J, Garcia-Rull S et-al. Endobronchial hamartoma resected by rigid bronchoscope. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1993;7 (8): 445-6. Pubmed citation
- 9. Theriault M, Eddy K, Borgaonkar J, Babar J, Manos D. Diseases Involving the Central Bronchi: Multidetector CT for Detection, Characterization, and Differential Diagnosis. Radiographics: a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc. 38 (1) 2018