Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Henry Knipe had no recorded disclosures.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
At the time the article was last revised Henry Knipe had the following disclosures:
- Radiopaedia Events Pty Ltd, Speaker fees (past)
- Integral Diagnostics, Shareholder (ongoing)
- Micro-X Ltd, Shareholder (ongoing)
These were assessed during peer review and were determined to not be relevant to the changes that were made.View Henry Knipe's current disclosures
Causes of cardiac cirrhosis include 1:
- ischemic heart disease: ~30%
- cardiomyopathy: ~25%
- valvular heart disease: ~25%
- restrictive lung disease: ~15%
- pericardial disease: ~10%
Fibrosis bridging between central zonal regions can occur if passive hepatic congestion persists for a long time. This process is best termed cardiac sclerosis, as unlike in cirrhosis due to noxious or viral insults, there is minimal nodular regeneration.
Features are those of cirrhosis, identical to other causes 3.
Treatment and prognosis
Cardiac cirrhosis may be irreversible even after treatment of the underlying cardiac failure 2.
- 1. Thomas D. Boyer, Michael Peter Manns, Arun J. Sanyal et al. Zakim and Boyer's Hepatology. (2012) ISBN: 9781437708813 - Google Books
- 2. Torabi M, Hosseinzadeh K, Federle M. CT of Nonneoplastic Hepatic Vascular and Perfusion Disorders. Radiographics. 2008;28(7):1967-82. doi:10.1148/rg.287085067 - Pubmed
- 3. Richard M. Gore, Marc S. Levine. Textbook of Gastrointestinal Radiology E-Book. (2014) ISBN: 9780323278119 - Google Books