Cavitating pulmonary metastases
Citation, DOI, disclosures and article data
At the time the article was created Yuranga Weerakkody had no recorded disclosures.View Yuranga Weerakkody's current disclosures
Cavitating pulmonary metastases refer to pulmonary metastases which then tend to cavitate. The term is similar but may not be identical to cystic pulmonary metastases in which the wall of the former may be thicker.
Cavitation is thought to occur in around 4% of lung metastases 2.
gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas 6
pancreatic adenocarcinoma 8: very rare
Cavitating pulmonary metastases have also been reported to develop after chemotherapy, thought to be secondary to tumor necrosis or a valve-effect on an adjacent bronchi 4,5.
Treatment and prognosis
For multiple cavitating lung lesions (nodules or masses) on imaging consider:
- 1. Chaudhuri MR. Cavitary pulmonary metastases. Thorax. 1970;25 (3): 375-81. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 2. Boitsios G, Bankier AA, Eisenberg RL. Diffuse pulmonary nodules. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2010;194 (5): W354-66. AJR Am J Roentgenol (full text) - doi:10.2214/AJR.10.4345 - Pubmed citation
- 3. Alexander PW, Sanders C, Nath H. Cavitary pulmonary metastases in transitional cell carcinoma of urinary bladder. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1990;154 (3): 493-4. AJR Am J Roentgenol (citation) - Pubmed citation
- 4. Seo JB, Im JG, Goo JM et-al. Atypical pulmonary metastases: spectrum of radiologic findings. Radiographics. 2001;21 (2): 403-17. Radiographics (full text) - Pubmed citation
- 5. Thalinger A, Rosenthal S, Borg S, Arseneau J. Cavitation of Pulmonary Metastases as a Response to Chemotherapy. Cancer. 1980;46(6):1329-32. doi:10.1002/1097-0142(19800915)46:6<1329::aid-cncr2820460605>3.0.co;2-q - Pubmed
- 6. Chaudhuri MR. Cavitary pulmonary metastases. Thorax. 1970;25 (3): 375-81. Free text at pubmed - Pubmed citation
- 7. Martínez-Jiménez S, Rosado-de-Christenson ML, Walker CM et-al. Imaging features of thoracic metastases from gynecologic neoplasms. Radiographics. 2014;34 (6): 1742-54. doi:10.1148/rg.346140052 - Pubmed citation
- 8. Virgilio E, Iannicelli E, Balducci G. RE: Atypical pulmonary metastases from pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Korean journal of radiology. 15 (3): 399-400. doi:10.3348/kjr.2014.15.3.399 - Pubmed