Chest x-ray review: airway
Citation, DOI and article data
Chest x-ray review is a key competency for medical students, junior doctors and other allied health professionals. Using A, B, C, D, E is a helpful and systematic method for chest x-ray review where A refers to the assessment of the airways.
- airway assessment often overlooked
- start at the top of the film
- find the trachea in the midline
- trace it down to the carina
- trace the right main bronchus
- return to the carina and trace the left main bronchus
- the angle between the two should be between 50° and 100°
- is the trachea straight and midline?
- is there any evidence of narrowing?
- is the carina wide (more than 100°)?