Unfortunately the pediatric population is susceptible to malignancies. The most common entities, in overall order of frequency, are 1-4:
- leukemia/lymphoma: ~35% *
- central nervous system malignancies: ~20%
- solid tumors
It is important to note that the incidence of various tumors varies with age, and thus the order above is not true throughout childhood 3.
- 1. Lonergan Gael J., Cornelia M. Schwab, Eric S. Suarez and Christian L. Carlson. “From the Archives of the AFIP.” Radiographics 22, no. 4 (July 2002): 911-934. doi:VL - 22.
- 2. Hall G. D., P M Patel and A. S. Protheroe. Key topics in oncology. Informa Health Care, 1997. ISBN: 1859961053, 9781859961056.
- 3. Marks Michael, Georgia Paxton and Jane Munro. Paediatric Handbook. Wiley-Blackwell, 2005. ISBN: 086793431X, 9780867934311.
- 4. Lenhard Raymond E., Robert T. Osteen, Ted S. Gansler and American Cancer Society. Clinical oncology. Wiley-Blackwell, 2001. ISBN: 0944235158, 9780944235157.